Question about dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewcephus

Reaction score
This isn't the first time I have dry hopped a beer, but I am curious about something. When you dry hop, do you keep it in the temp controlled ferm chamber? or do you take it out?

At the moment, I have 2 refrigerators in my shop, one is temp controlled for fermentation and the other is just plugged in and houses my yeast, which I will also use for cold crashing.

I have 2 brews going at the moment, one is ready for its dry hop, the other one I just brewed sunday so it is just now in active fermentation. The temp in the ferm fridge is 64* and I was wondering if I could dry hop in that temp, or wait till closer to the end of the week when I raise the temp up a little bit? Or maybe just go ahead and toss the hops and still raise the temp up, then I can cold crash next week?

thanks for you help,
brew

If your beer that you intend to dry hop is done with the active fermentation you can take it out of the temperature controlled area and open a space for the next beer you are going to brew. Beer only needs temperature control while active fermentation is going on. You can dry hop in the temperature controlled area or out of it.

The most important point being that it should be at FG & settle out clear or slightly misty before dry hopping. don't be in too much of a hurry to push it done. Can't be done. Dry hopping while finishing fermenting &/or before settling just allows the hop oils to coat the settling yeast cells,etc & go to the bottom.

well, I haven't taken a gravity reading yet, but it has been in the ferm chamber for over 2 weeks now. It started out at 63* and I raised it up to 68* after 5-6 days to let it finish out. I'm assuming it is done after 2 weeks, ime they are usually done after 2 weeks, though I haven't taken a reading yet. Was just curious as to whether I could dry hop it in the ferm chamber because I've read that it takes a little longer for the hop oils to work in cooler temps. And since my shop is a pretty good walk, carrying a carboy full of beer anyways, from my house I was really not wanting to take it inside and then bring it back out to cold crash, only to have to bring it back inside to bottle.

thanks again

So if the beer should be settled out and fairly clear before dry hopping should it be cold crashed first? Will a dry hopped beer benefit from two cold crashes? If you cold crash then bring the temp up to dry hop then cold crash to make it clear and settle out before bottling will that effect the hop oils and what comes thru? I have an IPA in the ferm chamber now at 64*. Its still in active fermentation, but I want to dry hop it and wondering what the best practice is when dry hopping in the primary and cold crashing to get it as clear as possible...

Well,It usually is better to dry hop the beer at the internal temp ambient air temp gives it. Even 68-71 or so would be fine,in my experiences.

I cold crashed my latest beer 2x +biofine and am happy with the results. I have a similar beer that I just dry hopped during primary fermentation. Be interesting to see how they compare.

You will get the best results dry hopping at room temperature or mid 60s-70's and the beer should be at FG.

Whether you crash first or not is up to you, IME I have not noticed any differences with pre or post. The most important thing is to package your beer right after dry hopping to preserve the aromas and flavors, in other words, don't dry hop and then leave the beer sit to condition in primary or secondary for another week or two. Condition time first, then dry hop and package.

I dry hop in primary for 5-7 days, crash cold for 24 hours and keg/bottle. On some beers I will dry hop in the keg but not a lot.

Thanks for the input. I think I will leave it in the ferm chamber at 64* for 2-3 weeks... Then raise temp over a couple days to 70* to "clean up" ..then add dry hop and slowly bring temp down as it is cold crashing and then bottle after 7ish days of being dry hopped... With the final 2 days of dry hop being the mid to high 30* range cold crash. That sound adequate?

I am using pelet hops and have a glass carboy with a small opening so I'm just going to drop them in. I think it would be best to end with the cold crash to hopefully have the hops settle out nicely and make racking it to the bottle bucket or keg easier

I dry hop in primary for 5-7 days, crash cold for 24 hours and keg/bottle. On some beers I will dry hop in the keg but not a lot.

This is how I always do it; dry hop, then cold crash and bottle. Guess I will wait till the weekend when I raise the temp on the currently fermenting beer and throw the dry hops in. 5-7 days later I can cold crash, then ready for bottling.

Back