question about dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoldenShowerGladiator

Reaction score
i dry hopped my Rye IPA last weekend. i was going to bottle this upcoming weekend. i noticed the hops (pellets) hadn't fallen to the bottom. will this happen given enough time or do i just siphon the beer into my bottling bucket and do my best to avoid sucking up the hops?

you could try and cold crash for a few days to drop em but its not really that necessary.. i'd just siphon beneath the hops and you ll me fine.

You can slip a (sanitized) paint strainer over the end of your racking cane, or even some clear pantyhose. Avoid the hops as much as you can, but hopefully the strainer will prevent clogging and lots of hop particles in your bottling bucket.

My standard regimen combines both techniques: cold crash to 34°F for 3-4 days, then autosiphon with a square of nylon pellet hop bag rubber-banded over the tip of the siphon (all of it sanitized in Star-San, of course). Works great - the pellet mush drops straight to the bottom and makes the rest pretty simple. Also results in a chilled head-start on carbing in the keezer...

Cheers!

FWIW I put a piece of pantyhose on the end of the autosiphon tubing and sanitize it once its on. I do not put it on the end of the siphon itself (so the pantyhose is actually in the bottling bucket, not the fermentation bucket). I have heard of autosiphons clogging by the hose getting sucked into the siphon itself. Sorry if that is what others meant by putting it on the end but I just wanted to clarify.

Back