Question about dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xjncoguyx

Reaction score
I know i screwed up, so lets get that out of the way to begin with. Im trying to figure out what to do with this beer now.

Ok, so i made an IPA seemed like a pretty solid recipe. I dry hopped for about 5 days with pellets in the secondary. Siphon got all jacked up and i end up stirring up some of the hop debris when i was siphoning to my keg. First pull out of the keg clogged the dip tube, so after 3 time of clearing it out it's not clogging it anymore. The main issue im having is determining if something is wrong with the beer, or if its just the hop debris in the beer. The beer is fine on the front end tastes pretty much like it smells and its pretty much exactly what i wanted. On the back end im getting a really grassy hop flavor/bitterness. Im wondering if its the hop particles floating in the beer(which im assuming it is). How can i go about ridding this beer of these floaters, and do you think it will mellow the grassy flavor on the back end? :confused::(

If you have a means of filtering it you can do that. I've had a couple batches where the hop solids refused to drop out of solution, even after crash cooling. Not sure why, but I wasn't able to fix them. I've also had a commercial pint of craft beer where it was clear this happened. In both cases, the beer was grassy. I ended up pitching my bad batches, but mostly because I have a strong pipeline and there is no point in trying to salvage a half assed beer.

If it is cold out there in PA, try sticking the carboy outside the night before you keg it. The cold will drop stuff to the bottom of the carboy to give you a clearer beer. Just do not do it on a -20 below night or you may freeze it!

My last dry-hopped IPA I wrapped some nylon cloth around my racking tube and it worked beautifully. I even acidentally stuck the siphon down INTO the trub for a few seconds and the bag got clogged -- but nothing went through into the siphon.

If you have a means of filtering it you can do that. I've had a couple batches where the hop solids refused to drop out of solution, even after crash cooling. Not sure why, but I wasn't able to fix them. I've also had a commercial pint of craft beer where it was clear this happened. In both cases, the beer was grassy. I ended up pitching my bad batches, but mostly because I have a strong pipeline and there is no point in trying to salvage a half assed beer.
Yeah i was considering doing that, i have another beer that i can put in the keg but im not 100% sold that i can't salvage it. It smells awesome, and up front the taste is awesome. There's just so much grassy aftertaste it kills the beer. Probably after a few sips it wouldn't be as noticeable. But i wanted to have it for a party saturday. And i refuse to serve my friends subpar homebrew.

If it is cold out there in PA, try sticking the carboy outside the night before you keg it. The cold will drop stuff to the bottom of the carboy to give you a clearer beer. Just do not do it on a -20 below night or you may freeze it!
Its in the keg in the fridge. Before i racked the majority of the hop debris had dropped out, but i accidentally stirred it up when racking. Im thinking of buying another keg anyway, so maybe i'll shoot it over to the other keg with some sort of filter in line. Any suggestions on a filter of some sort?

Back