Question about Crystal Malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerg_burglar

Reaction score
I understand that Crystal malts do impact the flavor and color of beer. I've read through the wiki and it explains the flavor profiles of the different Lovibond malts. However, there is not a picture to show what a Crystal 20 vs. Crystal 80 looks like in a finished beer.

I know this is a super specific request, does anyone have pictures of beers (say 90+% 2-row with <10% crystal) at various levels of Lovibond? I'd love to get a visual of the color difference.

Thanks in advance.

I understand that Crystal malts do impact the flavor and color of beer. I've read through the wiki and it explains the flavor profiles of the different Lovibond malts. However, there is not a picture to show what a Crystal 20 vs. Crystal 80 looks like in a finished beer.

I know this is a super specific request, does anyone have pictures of beers (say 90+% 2-row with <10% crystal) at various levels of Lovibond? I'd love to get a visual of the color difference.

Thanks in advance.

I don't have any pics but my brewing app (Wort) will give a colored palate of the SRM when you input the grain bill. I have found it to be quite accurate to the final product.

I don't have any pics but my brewing app (Wort) will give a colored palate of the SRM when you input the grain bill. I have found it to be quite accurate to the final product.
Maybe I'll try the same thing in beersmith. Is beersmith as accurate with the color?

mhb-malwhl1.jpg

The credit for that image goes to an author named Randy Mother. I was reading about malts last night in his book called Mastering Homebrew. The chapter covers the malt types very extensively and refers to this wheel.

The credit for that image goes to an author named Randy Mother. I was reading about malts last night in his book called Mastering Homebrew. The chapter covers the malt types very extensively and refers to this wheel.
*Randy Mosher .....stupid autocorrect

That's an interesting circle diagram (for lack of a better term). I assume I would just mentally combine the color of the crystal malt *L with the light side of the base malt to see the combined color?
The diagram is a good start at getting an idea of the malt color level for whichever you malt are thinking about using. It might even be good enough for a brew only using a couple malts. From there if you want to get a more exact representation, or you are using a variety of malts, then I would recommend a software like others above have suggested. I started using beersmith and it works great, but it is not free.

Back