question about comet hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sepanik1986

Reaction score
I have 8 oz of these in pellet form but im not sure what im going to use them in. i was thinking of a smash pale ale but ive read mixed reviews on their flavor. i really want to use them so i dont see the sealed bag in my freezer anymore.

what do you guys think?

I can't say I recall correctly..but, if my memory serves.. My club took a tour of Vinny's Russian River Brewing's main plant in Santa Rosa. He said he longed for brewing a beer with Comet. None of us asked him what kind of beer. It would be hard to make an assumption.. because tastes have changed. He is pretty darn famous for his ales and "....ation" beers.. so I don't think I'd make an assumption. I've read where this hop is nice in a saison.

I'd suggest you write Vinny and ask. He is usually pretty good at answering questions as time allows. He's just getting his new expanded plant up and running.. so, it may take time.

Good luck.

I've used Comet quite a bit for adding "dankness" to my IPAs. Usually 1oz at 10 or 5 min and 1oz dry hop.

It's got a very dominant flavor indeed. Adds a lot of grapefruit and pairs well with other fruit forward and citrus hops.

I've never done a Smash brew with it but I say go for it! I have about 12oz of Comet leaf left and may have to do one myself.

I really want to do a Rye + Comet SMaSH, just because. Gotta order some, Farmhouse seems the best bet.

What did you end up doing with yours?

Back