Question about brew kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooZer

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just got a Stainless Steal turkey fryer kit for Xmas.

It has a 7.5gallon pot.

If i start with 6-6.5 gallons of water will the pot be large enough?

Well, it's close! You have to watch it very closely! I do AG and boil 6.25 gallons to start. I don't add hops until after the hot break (I KNOW it would boil over when I added the hops, if I didn't wait!) and watch it until I'm sure all danger of boilover has passed. It's ok, but I wish it was a little big bigger. You can manage as long as you're careful.

YooperBrew said:
Well, it's close! You have to watch it very closely! I do AG and boil 6.25 gallons to start. I don't add hops until after the hot break (I KNOW it would boil over when I added the hops, if I didn't wait!) and watch it until I'm sure all danger of boilover has passed. It's ok, but I wish it was a little big bigger. You can manage as long as you're careful.

Yooper, I am assuming you have a 30 qt pot as well...

Will i be able to fit my wort chiller after all the malt and water? I think it will be close.

I will baby sit and wait for the hop addition. I bought a water spray bottle for keeping the break down. I extract brew and used to get a crappy boil on my stove and never even acheived hot breaks. (and until i just got my wort chiller im not sure i ever had cold breaks either). I cant wait!

Oh, yes, it's a 30 quart pot. And the wort chiller fits fine, because by the time you're ready for it, you're down to about 5.25 gallons or so. So, the only time I sit right there is until the hot break. I'd never fill above 6.5 gallons, though, and even that would be pushing it.

YooperBrew said:
Oh, yes, it's a 30 quart pot. And the wort chiller fits fine, because by the time you're ready for it, you're down to about 5.25 gallons or so. So, the only time I sit right there is until the hot break. I'd never fill above 6.5 gallons, though, and even that would be pushing it.

Awesome! Thanks for the help.

hey did you ever make that Great Lakes Burning River clone. I would like to know how it turned out. I live in cleveland and that is an awesome pale ale.

No, I didn't. But someone told me it's in Clone Brews. I don't have that book but I sure would love to make it now that you mention it! I have a sixer here to drink, and it's one of my favorites!

i usually start my boils with 6.5-7 gal in my 30qt fryer pot as long as your boil isn't a rolling one until after the hot break i don't get BO's.

knock on wood:D

I have the same set up and have occassional boil overs its not the end of the world just fire the burner back up and get back to brewing.

YooperBrew said:
No, I didn't. But someone told me it's in Clone Brews. I don't have that book but I sure would love to make it now that you mention it! I have a sixer here to drink, and it's one of my favorites!

I have that book, there is two versions i believe i will have to check it out.

Back