Question about bottling from a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevStL

Reaction score
When I bottle from a keg, since the keg is already going to be cold, does the beer that is now in the bottles need to be kept cold as well? I'm planning to give some to a friend, but he may not be able to keep all of it cold since he is in the process of moving (its his going away present).

Beer stored warm will age faster, if that's what you are asking. Letting a beer that was once cold warm up (and then, presumably, making it cold again) won't cause it to explode or anything. Letting a six-pack sit in the back of his 120ºF car for a week or two won't do much for the freshness, but there's no harm to more reasonable temperatures.

I'm not worried about it exploding :) I'm more worried about it tasting bad. I've always hearx that once a beer is cold, warming it up & cooling it again can make it taste bad.

I moved from arizona to texas in may, my kegs were cold in az but in the back of the moving truck for two days. When I got my kegerator set back up the beer was just fine

-= Jason =-

I'm not worried about it exploding :) I'm more worried about it tasting bad. I've always hearx that once a beer is cold, warming it up & cooling it again can make it taste bad.

Hmm...I've not experienced that, and I wonder what would make it happen. Certainly any lager you can buy at the store (even the good ones) has been cooled and warmed.

Just keep it out of the sun and extreme heat and it will be fine. Was up in Wisconsin 2 weeks ago brought some craft and home brew back to Florida it was fine....my.02

Somebody covered beer storage on one of the major podcasts - can't remember if it was Basic Brewing or one of the BN shows. I do remember the main points, which were that the hotter the storage is, the worse the effect on the beer, and that repeated temperature swings are bad as well. Letting it warm up once and then re-chilling shouldn't have a major effect.

thanks for the info guys. I'm still new to this, and don't want to screw up.

Back