Question about biulding a thermowell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodbrews

Reaction score
I'd like to place the temp probe of my STC-1000 into a stainless steel thermowell. I purchased a stainless steel sleeve thermowell from Brewhardware and the probe fits nicely inside of it. I plan to shrink wrap the wire in place at the top to make a water tight seal.

My question is this: is there any need to fill the empty space within the thermowell with any kind of thermal paste?

Thanks!

why the shrink wrap? unless you're planning on having the whole thermal well submerged? not sure what everyone else does, but I'm pretty sure you're supposed to have the thermal well going through the bung if used in a carboy, or in the lid of a bucket... so only the bottom of the well is in the beer. hence no need to waterproof it

Thanks, and probably true about being waterproof. I'm really looking for splashproof, not waterproof.

I'd recommend to put thermopaste on the temperature sensor to make better heat transfer between thermowell and the sensor.

I'd caution against thermal paste. I tried that and it made such a seal around the thermocouple probe that I couldn't push it into the thermowell because the air in the thermowell couldn't come out (think of a tight piston in as cylinder). If you get the right combination of thermocouple and thermowell, the probe should fit tightly and may even need a little sanding with sandpaper.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back