Question about Belgian Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chicago1948

Reaction score
So I have a Belgian that has been in Primary for the last 12 days using Wyeast 1762. However, I have been leafing through "Brew Like A Monk" and looking at each of the recipes. It appears that almost all of the Belgian breweries are only leaving their beer in primary for about 4-7 days before moving to secondary and reducing the temperature.

Is there something about the volume of yeast they pitch that allows them to rack so soon?

Also they are only staying in secondary for 2-3 weeks. The common perception here is that Belgian's should be fermented for months or more before bottling/kegging. Thoughts?

So I have a Belgian that has been in Primary for the last 12 days using Wyeast 1762. However, I have been leafing through "Brew Like A Monk" and looking at each of the recipes. It appears that almost all of the Belgian breweries are only leaving their beer in primary for about 4-7 days before moving to secondary and reducing the temperature.

Is there something about the volume of yeast they pitch that allows them to rack so soon?

Also they are only staying in secondary for 2-3 weeks. The common perception here is that Belgian's should be fermented for months or more before bottling/kegging. Thoughts?

Yeah, it seems a lot of HBTers think Belgins take many months to make. The truth is, most are very simple beers and they just don't need extended aging or fermentation periods. All my Tripels have reached FG in 5 days so there's nothing mysterious about it. For my Tripels and BGS I do 1 week ferment, 1-2 week lager, 2 week referment, and 3 week rest. Never made a stinker yet.

Yeah, it seems a lot of HBTers think Belgins take many months to make. The truth is, most are very simple beers and they just don't need extended aging or fermentation periods.

One thing that was pointed out in some book I've read (perhaps Brew Like a Monk) is that the flavor of the imported Belgians is affected by the long (usually 1+ month) boat ride over here, even if they don't ferment as long domestically. So to match *that* flavor it makes sense to either ferment longer or bottle condition longer.

One thing that was pointed out in some book I've read (perhaps Brew Like a Monk) is that the flavor of the imported Belgians is affected by the long (usually 1+ month) boat ride over here, even if they don't ferment as long domestically. So to match *that* flavor it makes sense to either ferment longer or bottle condition longer.

Or go to Belgium and learn how they're supposed to taste. :rockin:

I can't wait to get back there again...

Presumably, it doesn't take as long to get here and they're still tasty as hell.

Also, I don't remember really having my fermentations take longer with Belgians.

Presumably, it doesn't take as long to get here and they're still tasty as hell.

Oh, yeah. Don't get me wrong. Belgians are quite tasty closer to home. But certainly an extra month of conditioning tends to change the flavor a bit.

Also about fermentations taking longer, I've definitely seen that the Wyeast 1214 is much slower getting started than a typical yeast if you pitch the same amount. My first time using it I think it was 2-3 days before I saw any activity in the airlock.

Oh, yeah. Don't get me wrong. Belgians are quite tasty closer to home. But certainly an extra month of conditioning tends to change the flavor a bit.

Also about fermentations taking longer, I've definitely seen that the Wyeast 1214 is much slower getting started than a typical yeast if you pitch the same amount. My first time using it I think it was 2-3 days before I saw any activity in the airlock.

Agreed. Bottle conditioning can be a great thing!

I haven't used 1214 very much, twice I think, and can't recall. 1388 is a monster though. As a friend once said "that can ferment a rock". I've seen some crazy fermentations with 1388, fast and highly attenuated. I think 1214 has more complexity, though. Anyway, I don't think it's necessary to have crazy long ferments as a general rule for Belgians.

A key feature of their process is that they pitch yeast in the low 60s and allow the temperature to rise into the low 80s.

That's not always true- even for breweries that use the same strains of yeast. Some let the temps rise to the high 70's, others keep it below 65. Also taken from Brew Like A Monk. :)

Latest posts

Back