Question About Beersmith Software / Kettle Losses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have just started using Beersmith as I am now developing my own recipes and have found it very useful.
However I cannot find where to add in kettle losses into my equipment?
Also when I add water to the main list, altering the amount of water does not affect the OG, but altering water in My Equipment does affect the OG?
Is the water in the ingredient list just for inventory purposes?

Under Profiles - Equipment - [profile name] you set mash tun and lautering losses, boil kettle losses (look under "Post Boil Losses..."), as well as fermenter losses.

I believe where you are changing the volume doesn't matter to the actual process values. The value BS uses is calculated and can be found under the Water Profile page...

Cheers!

I have just started using Beersmith as I am now developing my own recipes and have found it very useful.
However I cannot find where to add in kettle losses into my equipment?
Also when I add water to the main list, altering the amount of water does not affect the OG, but altering water in My Equipment does affect the OG?
Is the water in the ingredient list just for inventory purposes?
The graphic below is a screenshot of a BS equipment profile page.

In the red box are the inputs for volume losses going from the mash tun to the boil kettle. "Mash Deadspace Losses" is the volume of liquid left in the bottom of the mash tun after you have drained it using your normal wort transfer process. It also includes any volume left in hoses and pump. "Recoverable Mash Deadspace" is the volume under a false bottom, and any volume outside of a malt pipe or basket (if your system has either.) This value is used to adjust strike water volume so that mash thickness meets your target.

In the yellow box is the input for all loses going from the boil kettle to the fermenter.

I don't believe BS expects you to include any water as an ingredient, so doesn't do anything with that value. All water is dealt with elsewhere.

BS Equipment Profile Example 2.png

Brew on :mug:

Your brew days will go much smoother if you sit down and create a custom equipment profile. Try using this tutorial to walk you through the process.

Back