Question about base malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eskimo Spy

Reaction score
I'm about to make a bulk order of 2-row, but I wanted to make sure I understand these base malts first.

Most of what I brew at the moment are ales, and they fall into these categories:

American Pale Wheat Ale
American IPA Ale
American Amber Ale
English Pale Ale

So, I started looking at what was common between them. They all seem to call for 2-row pale malt, some American, some British.

I assume when a recipe calls for pilsner, maris otter, pale, etc, these are all types of two-row, just with different flavor characteristics and kilned differently? Am I understanding this correctly? If not, how do you differentiate between all the different varieties? Is it just based on taste characteristics and conversion rates?

I'm thinking that I should order 50# of Klages 2 row Malted Barley and 50# of English maris otter, that way I can make my English ales using MO and my American ales using Klages.

Getting sacks of US 2-row and maris otter will take care of nearly all of your base malt needs. You may need to buy a few pounds of pils if you decide to make a recipe that calls for it.
As a general rule of thumb, use US 2-row for american beers, maris otter for british beers, and pils for belgian and german beers. Of coarse there are exceptions, but it usually works pretty well that way.

Latest posts

Back