Question about AirLock - First/2nd Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoingInCIDER

Reaction score
Hey guys... first post here.
I've been more or less a cider internet creeper until now.

In my impatiences, I started 2 batches of cider.

First batch is 8L of sweet pasteurized with no preservatives cider.
It's brewing in a Mr. Beer kit.
In this batch I'm using champagne yeast, as I read it'll tolerate a higher alcohol percentage, which is what I would like with this batch.
I also added a half cup of gold sugar cane to help increase the %.
This batch was started 3 days ago, and seems to be going as planned, as the Mr. Beer contraption is pretty simple.

It's the SECOND batch which is new to me where I have more questions.

In this batch I purchased a glass jug of sweet pasteurized with no preservatives cider.
In this batch I added 3 table spoons of brown sugar but used brewers yeast.
I wasn't going to add sugar, but I wanted it to be somewhat comparable to the first batch, so I can decide which yeast I enjoy more. (Next time I'm going to make much smaller controlled batches to play with multiple combinations but all using the same cider for a better comparison

My plan is to brew it right in the glass jug it was purchased in... but with doing that I went out and purchased an airlock.

SO, here are my QUESTIONS.

1) Instead of using vodka or sanetized solution water in the airlock, I used just straight up water. All parts of the airlock are sanitized, but everything I've read suggests using the solution or vodka. Will this have any impact on the brew?

2) After checking on the brew after only 24 hours, I noticed what appeared to be cider in the airlock and foaming out the top. This kind of caught me off guard and thought it wasn't working properly... so I cleaned it all with solution again and added the water again, but then again, it's just foaming like crazy. SO, is this OK to just leave it and let it foam out of the airlock, or should I keep cleaning it out until the foaming stops?

I've added some photos to help.

Any feedback would be appreciated, and I look forward to participating in this forum.

The 2 brews!
20150228_191221-65132.jpg

Leaking airlock
20150301_150821-65133.jpg

GoingInCider

Absolutely, totally common to see that. Normally I start with a cup or so less than the bottle capacity so the foam doesn't spew through the airlock - but yeah it's happened to me too. After a couple of days the foam will stop forming and you can clean & sanitize your airlock again without a repeat episode.

I use vodka in my airlocks. The theory is that if any gets sucked into the jug it's just alcohol and won't hurt anything. For that same reason, I'd choose water over sanitizer.

Welcome to the world of hard cider.

My take is that vodka or sanitiZer are preferable as any nasties that get into the airlock fluid won't infect your batch if you get suck back. Neither starsan or vodka will kill you are the correct dilution but they will kill bacteria and or things that somehow sneak in

But it boils down to personal preference

1. I use water in my airlocks, and have for 25+ years. It's fine.

2. What I'd do is just remove the bung and airlock and cover the top with a napkin or something with a rubber band, so that the c02 can escape and no fruitflies can get in, or set up a blow off tube (a sanitized tube jammed in the opening of the jug and the other end in a pitcher of water) so that you can stop cleaning the airlock constantly. It will slow down in a few days, and you can replace the bung and airlock.

Thanks for the replies guys.

It's great to see that this is an active forum!

Since my original post, I still have yet to touch the bottle. The bubbling is still going strong, so it appears I have a good batch brewing?

I also read that some have used a sanitized spoon to scoop out the bubbles, cleaned the airlock and then put it back on and let it continue.

If I add a napkin or paper towel... how do I sanitize it?

Next time thought I will remove about a cup of cider from the jug before brewing.

Thanks again!

A napkin would be used instead of an airlock. In the beginning stages of fermentation there's positive pressure in the jug that pushes out CO2. All you need to do is keep fruit flies and such out with a fine screen.

Usually with a small carboy (1 gallon) I'll wait 2-3 days until the foam stops forming. Then I'll remove the bung and use a sanitized "turkey baster" to wash the foam down into the bottle, and replace the bung/airlock with a clean one. The foam usually falls off the bottle by itself after a while, but sometimes it sticks in the neck and I'd rather get it off early on than risk knocking it into the cider with a siphon later on.

I mix Citric Acid and Sodium Metabisulfites with water and put that in my air locks.

Off topic slightly to my original post... but both my batches do not have pectic enzyme.

Is there a downside to to this?

Everything I put in both batches is listed in the original post.

Also, I'm guessing my one batch will come out more like a apple wine?

Should I let set for 1 or 2 weeks before bottling and letting sit? ALSO at the time of bottling, to sweeten up a bit, can I add a table spoon of sugar for carbonation?

THANKS!

Off topic slightly to my original post... but both my batches do not have pectic enzyme.

Is there a downside to to this?

Everything I put in both batches is listed in the original post.

Also, I'm guessing my one batch will come out more like a apple wine?

Should I let set for 1 or 2 weeks before bottling and letting sit? ALSO at the time of bottling, to sweeten up a bit, can I add a table spoon of sugar for carbonation?

THANKS!

From what Ive gathered, pectic enzyme will help clear the cider by chewing up all the pectin, usually you'll use this when you have a cider or grape juice (winemaking, skins from the grapes) that has lots of solids in solution. So you may just end up with a cloudier cider than you'd expect unless you're starting with a clear must.

I usually let mine sit for a month before bottling (not required) just to age a little more and regain a little of the appley flavor back, but then again I've only made four batches so far, but the longer you can wait the better!
I've read some guys on here leave theirs in bulk aging for 6-8 months. Just be sure to toss in a little sulfite for preservation, similar to winemaking.

From what Ive gathered, pectic enzyme will help clear the cider by chewing up all the pectin, usually you'll use this when you have a cider or grape juice (winemaking, skins from the grapes) that has lots of solids in solution. So you may just end up with a cloudier cider than you'd expect unless you're starting with a clear must.

I usually let mine sit for a month before bottling (not required) just to age a little more and regain a little of the appley flavor back, but then again I've only made four batches so far, but the longer you can wait the better!
I've read some guys on here leave theirs in bulk aging for 6-8 months. Just be sure to toss in a little sulfite for preservation, similar to winemaking.

Latest posts

Back