Question about airlock filling with sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bike4beer

Reaction score
I started my third ever 5-gallon batch last thursday. A Brewer's Best Belgian Tripel kit. Brewing went fine and on Friday it appeared to be fermenting just fine. I left for the weekend and came back Sunday night and the airlock was full of sediment and an ounce of two of beer was on top of the lid of the fermenter. Any ideas on why this happened and what I can do to prevent this from happening again. Thanks.

It's a vigorous fermentation. It's OK. Do a search for "Blow off tubes". Then make one.

BTW, Welcome to the forum.

+1

What kind of yeast did you use? Some of those Belgian strains are killers. Clean out he airlock and lid, sanitize, and stick it back in there.

Welcome to HBT!
It is easy for an airlock to become blocked if you have good fermentation. The problem is that if it is totally blocked it will build up pressure and blow krausen all over your room and ceiling.

+1 on the blow off tube and congratulations about your good fermentation.

I had this exact same thing happen to me today. I brewed a Hefeweizen last night and I woke up to a terrible hissing noise. I ran to the bathroom where the carboy was and the airlock was full of krausen. When I pulled the airlock out a ton of foam came flowing out. What a mess. Luckily I had it in the bath tub. I think next time I will just use a blow off tube.

Back