Question about a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nrichardson85

Reaction score
Good day all!

I came across this recipe and was wondering how I can adapt this ale (using larger yeast) to the current basic kit I have?

I do not have a very good way to keep my fermenter at a constant temperature other than putting it in my basement which averages 60 degrees. I also don't have a secondary fermenter but would be glad to upgrade and buy one if need be.

Also the recipe doesn't tell me when to add both malts. At the same time?

Can anyone please explain to step by step using what I have how I can make this beer the best it can be?

10 lbs Schreier 2 row Malt
1 lb Carapils Malt
Cascade Hop Pellets (3AAU) 15 minutes
Cascade Hop Pellets (3AAU) Flame out
Cluster Hop Pellets (6.8 AAU) 60 minutes
1 White Labs American Lager Yeast 840
1 Teaspoon Irish Moss
1 Cup Corn Syrup
OG- 1.054
FG- 1.013
ABV- 5.7%

This could turn into a cali common pretty easy. Then again this could turn into a pale ale pretty easy too. Then again, adding a number of different character malts would turn this into many different beers by simply adjusting the yeast, mash temp, etc, etc.

Is this a kit you already own? Or just a recipe you came across?

This is a recipe I came across for a pseudo English ale. My set up is not that advanced (yet) as I'm working with a $100 starter kit I purchased recently.

I just have no idea when to add the malts, if I need a secondary fermenter, do I need to cold shock before I bottle or control the temp in any way better then putting it down my basement lol!

Hope this answers your questions!

Are you set up for extract brewing, or all-grain? Do you already have the ingredients? That will help nail down the first steps of this recipe for you. For the yeast, I would switch the yeast to something like White Labs 001 if you want to use liquid yeast or Fermentis US-05 if you'd rather use dry yeast.

Did you mean lager yeast? If so you'd really need to drop the temp much lower than what your basement will do, though I think there is one lager yeast that can do well in the low 60's (beer temp).

Your basement floor being cold might keep your beer in the realm of good ale temps (mid 60's) by itself, but you'll need to keen an eye on it for the first few days to make sure.

Are you familiar with all grain brewing? That's what your recipe is of. It can easily be converted to extract.

Thanks for the info. I am familiar, just do not have the supplies to do so just yet.

How would you convert it? I assume I would change the yeast to an ale yeast to make it easier on me. :)

You're not quite set up for all grain which is the recipe you posted. However, not to worry, you simply need to pick from a different set of basic ingredients and you can have nearly the exact same beer if you want. I would personally recommend picking a kit for an English style beer you're familiar with and enjoy drinking. English brown ales and ESBs are good choices in my opinion, but maybe you want lighter malt flavors, or maybe you'd want more hop flavors/aromas.

Give us an idea of some beers you would like to create at home that you enjoy drinking and we can help point you in a direction that should produce something that suits your needs.

Steep .5 lb Cara-pils (there is already some in the extract, so you can reduce this from the 1 lb the recipe calls for) in 150-160F water for 30 minutes, then remove from the water.
Add 3 lbs of Light DME - you'll need a total of 6 pounds, but the remainder you will add at flameout
Bring to boil
Add Cluster hops for 60 minutes
With 15 minutes left in your boil (45 minutes after adding the Cluster hops), add Irish moss and your 15-minute Cascade hop addition
At flameout (0 minutes left in boil), add the rest of the Cascade hops, the rest of the DME, and your corn sugar
Cool to 62F. While wort is cooling, rehydrate 1 packet of Fermentis US-05 yeast in 80-90F water.
Once wort is chilled, transfer to carboy or bucket and pitch yeast.
Try your best to keep the temp 68 or below. US-05 is an ale yeast that is pretty forgiving in terms of production of off-flavors.

I don't know the alpha acid % of your hops, but if you share that info we can figure out how much to add to hit hte AAU's the recipe calls for.

Sure! I'm looking to clone Yuengling' Lord Chesterfield. I'll look for a description of it and post it to you guys

To follow up on my last post with the converted recipe, here is how to figure out how much hops to add when you are given AAU's:

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79910

AAU = Alpha Acid % (On hop Package) x Weight of hops (ounces)
A recipe calls for 10 AAU of Cascade
Your cascade says it's 5.0%, so to get 10 AAU, multiply the 5 by 2.
You need 2 ounces of cascade for that hop addition,if your hops were 4.0% you would need 2.5 ounces, if the AA% is 6.0 then you need 1.67 ounces.
etc.

If your Cascades are 6% alpha acid, 3 AAUs means using 1/2 ounce with 15 minutes left in the boil and another 1/2 ounce at flameout. If your cluster are 6.8% alpha acid, you would use 1 ounce for that addition at the beginning of the boil. Both of those ballpark numbers I'm throwing out are reasonable for those hops, by the way, but there is variance from grower to grower and year to year so you'll want to check the package of hops when you buy them.

Back