Quart brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevA

Reaction score
I recently read a post on practical selfreliance, that explained how to brew a quart of mead or wine. The idea facinated me and I currently have a few wines and meads in quart fermenters.
Now I want to try the same with beer, I can see how it might work for trying recipes and styles that would otherwise be impossible.

Is there anyone who has brewed quart sized beer batches? Any advice (other than don't do it)?

There is a minor problem with making beer in a quart jar that isn't there with wine or mead. Fermenting beer produces a krausen and that krausen needs some space or it makes a real sticky mess. Fermenting a quart of beer in a gallon jug will work, fermenting a quart of beer in a quart jar will not. Once fermenting is over and the krausen has dropped you can just leave the beer in the gallon jug until it is ready to bottle. I'd suggest you give it a minimum of 2 weeks and 3 might be better.

There is a minor problem with making beer in a quart jar that isn't there with wine or mead. Fermenting beer produces a krausen and that krausen needs some space or it makes a real sticky mess. Fermenting a quart of beer in a gallon jug will work, fermenting a quart of beer in a quart jar will not. Once fermenting is over and the krausen has dropped you can just leave the beer in the gallon jug until it is ready to bottle. I'd suggest you give it a minimum of 2 weeks and 3 might be better.
Do you think a half gallon fermenter wil do the trick?

Do you think a half gallon fermenter wil do the trick?

Yes it would, even a quart and a half would be big enough in most instances. I just happen to have several gallon glass jugs and assumed that since they are (were, plastic seems to be the norm now) common most people would have at least one somewhere.

Yes it would, even a quart and a half would be big enough in most instances. I just happen to have several gallon glass jugs and assumed that since they are (were, plastic seems to be the norm now) common most people would have at least one somewhere.
I have four imperial gallon fermenters, but they are almost always full of must or something that needs to lager. I have 40 or so 1/2 gallon canning jars, so will try them. Thanks

I read the article and was appalled that such a bonehead produced would be marketed to new home brewer. Thank goodness I made it to the comment section and realized this was an April fool's joke.
Lol, unintentionally. I didn't read the article, I just remember seeing it on HBT landing page. Though I thought I had read a 1pt brewing article in the past.

Is there anyone who has brewed quart sized beer batches? Any advice (other than don't do it)?

I could see the value for experimentation...say to brew 4 different versions of a beer with crystal malts from different maltsters. Carbonation or transfering to a separate bottle seems like a big challenges. One thought is to ferment in a 2L soda bottle and using a carbonation cap and a spunding valve to carbonate right in the fermenting bottle. A downside is the price of carbonation caps and spunding valves...especially if you want more than about 2 sets.

Seems good to be able to do very small batches for testing yeasts, temperatures, or other ingredients, but if you are trying to stock a survival pantry wouldn’t you just buy some cases of commercially canned beers? They are already “preserved” and in cans.

Back