Quantity/OG problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scorpien222

Reaction score
Have just attempted my fist couple of all grain batches.

I decided to start small and just do one gallon batches (UK Gallon 4.5 liters) I have been using software called brew pal.

The first batch my OG was about spot on the predicted but I was around a liter and a half short of my 4.5 liters so if I had have had the tight amount my OG would have been short.

Last night I brewed again I had a little problem in that the demijohn I was using broke when I had it roughly half full so I lost a lot of my wort not sure exactly how much, I now have around 2.5 liters of this batch left and took a reading the expected OG was 1.069 and I got 1.047.

My mash temp was exactly what the software said and so were the quantities used I am only using a pan on my stove which is taking a while to get to the boil could this have a bearing on the loss of volume in the first batch ? And any suggestions on how rectify it.

Also what could be the problem with me missing my OG I am batch sparging, should I be leaving my spathe water in my mash tun for a while to soak or can I just drain it straight through ? Should I be trying to press my grain a little to get more of the wort containing more sugar from it ?

Lots of questions I am sorry but I want to get it right :) all advice is welcome.

Learning how your system preforms is a VERY important an often aggravating step.
Yes, more wort = less OG.
Everything else is a variable based on how your processes and equipment preform.
The more your try and rinse/wring out your mash the more likely you are to get tannin extraction.
Check the efficiency your brew software is using and adjust it to what you are actually experiencing.
If you are worried about low OG keep some malt extract on hand to kick it up.
Boil off happens, keep a lid on it until its boiling then start your timer. Adjust your pre-boil volume accordingly on future batches.
Did you ever extract brew? Many of the same principles apply.

Thanks for the advice :) I originally started with kits then I did two extract brews and got hooked and moved directly to all grain lol so I'm still just finding my feet with it really I didn't squeeze my grain out I thought that the water in there was just an accepted loss to the process I will try that next time could make quite a difference thanks again for the help :)

I have some questions about your process. Once I understand exactly what you are doing I can offer some advice.

1. What type of container are you using to do the mash? Do you use the same pot that you boil in?

2. How are you crushing (milling) your grain before you do the mash? Are you using a brew bag?

If you could outline the process every step of the way, every detail, so I can visualize it, that would help me with some pointers for you.

Most problems when not getting up to the correct OG are due to sparging issues in my experience. There are ways to prevent tannin extraction while getting everything you can rinsed out of the grain. I will go into that next once you give me the details of your process.

Don't worry-- I'll find your missing OG. :)

Back