Qestion about using finings...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driftwood

Reaction score
So just trying to have someone verify what I already think here.

Going to be using Isinglass for the first time in my latest batch in just a few days.

I'm going to use whatever it is they tell you for a 5 gal batch, 150ml i think, mix it with a cup of the beer from the fermentor, then pour back in, stir around real good with a racking cane, then hopefully find space in the fridge to put the fermentor in there.

How does that sound? Any suggestions?

Other questions:

1. I'd like to put this in the fridge cuz I hear it'll settle faster if its chilled. So if I have the space, how long should settling take in the fridge? The folks at the HBS just said it'll be done when its clear... (well, gee, thanks, that helps...)

2. If I can't get the fridge space and it has to sit at the toast 22C we seem to have around here these days, how will that affect settling?

3. How much do I need to worry about sanitation at this stage? If the beer is at whatever ABV its at, do I need to worry much? I'll be kegging this batch, so no priming sugar going in, but if I was going to add sugar, would it be a problem if i was bottling? My thoughts are that sanitation isn't a big deal anymore, just cleanliness...

Any thoughts?

Sanitation is always, always important IMO. Contamination is your worst enemy. I never "sugar" what goes into the keg. But I almost always bottle a few from the batch, but I use DME for priming...

Back