Qbrew batch sizes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankvw

Reaction score
Simple and quick question (that Google has so far failed to answer): Is the batch size in Qbrew a pre-boil or post-boil batch size?

// FvW

Thank you! That would mean that Qbrew's IBU estimates could be a bit off, since boil evaporation isn't taken into account at all, i.e. the preboil gravity is assumed to be equal to the post boil gravity...

Thank you! That would mean that Qbrew's IBU estimates could be a bit off, since boil evaporation isn't taken into account at all, i.e. the preboil gravity is assumed to be equal to the post boil gravity...
@frankvw I think qBrew batch size reflects the gravity of the post-boil wort. If you plan to put 5.00 gallons into the fermenter but have 0.5 gallon lost to kettle trub loss set your batch size to 5.5 gallons.

I think qBrew batch size reflects the gravity of the post-boil wort. If you plan to put 5.00 gallons into the fermenter but have 0.5 gallon lost to kettle trub loss set your batch size to 5.5 gallons.
Given the way other homebrewing software handles this (by adding and subtracting volumes) my guess would be that the batch size reflects the post boil volume before losses... "Guess" being the operative word, since what little documentation Qbrew comes with doesn't mention any of it.

Back