PVC Pipe Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dory Rules

Reaction score
In the last issue of BYO Kevin Lane built a fermenter from 10 feet of PVC pipe to test effects on yeast. This could be a cool way to have multiple fermenters in a small amount of space.
Anyone else tried this?
I see a couple advantages. A 5 foot long x 8 inch pvc pipe would hold 6.5 gallons. 1 foot would hold 1.3 gallons. This could be great for small batches also. The 8 inch pipe has a minimum working pressure of 133psi.
Ferment, carbonate, and serve!
Pipe and fittings available anywhere. Add a valve at the bottom to drop trub and bottle/server. Add gas fittings at top for CO2.
What am I missing?

My fermentation chamber won’t hold 10’ lengths... I’ve never seen pipe that big. I hate to think how expensive it is.
Conceptually I like the idea. Practically, hmmmm.

Food grade shouldn’t be an issue - it is used for drinking water. 5 foot length is about $50. They make up to 16inch diameter.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be concerned with the food safety issue, but for one exception: pH

Drinking water isn't nearly as acidic as beer. I just don't know what the effect of that would be.

If you do decide to undertake this, Gorilla Glue makes a pvc glue that is non-toxic, or something.

Food grade shouldn’t be an issue - it is used for drinking water. 5 foot length is about $50. They make up to 16inch diameter.

If used for drinking water that would C-PVC not ordinary PVC (waste pipes etc.).
Not sure how that behaves with beer, though, when alcohol is present.

If used for drinking water that would C-PVC not ordinary PVC (waste pipes etc.).
Not sure how that behaves with beer, though, when alcohol is present.
If I'm not mistaken, PVC is/was-thought-to-be safe for cold drinking water only.

I think that the white cpvc would be fine. It is for potable water, hot or cold. I believe its practically the same material as my plastic bucket.

If a 5' piece holds 6.5 gallons it the same as my bucket. My bucket costs less and stands on its own. Temperature control would be the issue for me. Its a novel idea but I'll stick with the bucket.

In the last issue of BYO Kevin Lane built a fermenter from 10 feet of PVC pipe to test effects on yeast. This could be a cool way to have multiple fermenters in a small amount of space.
Anyone else tried this?
I see a couple advantages. A 5 foot long x 8 inch pvc pipe would hold 6.5 gallons. 1 foot would hold 1.3 gallons. This could be great for small batches also. The 8 inch pipe has a minimum working pressure of 133psi.
Ferment, carbonate, and serve!
Pipe and fittings available anywhere. Add a valve at the bottom to drop trub and bottle/server. Add gas fittings at top for CO2.
What am I missing?
if anything , use CPVC it is better suited for potable water .not PVC,which is more suited for drainage .Also use the appropriate glues for cpvc as well.
I agree with the above , I'd use a self standing bucket before using a cpvc pipe length. Buy a 6.5 gallon brew bucket ,itll come with a spigot and cost way less and be much safer and better suited than cpvc

Back