Quantcast

PVC Pipe Fermenter

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Dory Rules

Reaction score
In the last issue of BYO Kevin Lane built a fermenter from 10 feet of PVC pipe to test effects on yeast. This could be a cool way to have multiple fermenters in a small amount of space.
Anyone else tried this?
I see a couple advantages. A 5 foot long x 8 inch pvc pipe would hold 6.5 gallons. 1 foot would hold 1.3 gallons. This could be great for small batches also. The 8 inch pipe has a minimum working pressure of 133psi.
Ferment, carbonate, and serve!
Pipe and fittings available anywhere. Add a valve at the bottom to drop trub and bottle/server. Add gas fittings at top for CO2.
What am I missing?

AkTom

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My fermentation chamber won’t hold 10’ lengths... I’ve never seen pipe that big. I hate to think how expensive it is.
Conceptually I like the idea. Practically, hmmmm.

OP
D

Dory Rules

Reaction score
Food grade shouldn’t be an issue - it is used for drinking water. 5 foot length is about $50. They make up to 16inch diameter.

Last edited:

imasickboy

Drinkasaurus extraordinarius
Reaction score
I wouldn't be concerned with the food safety issue, but for one exception: pH

Drinking water isn't nearly as acidic as beer. I just don't know what the effect of that would be.

If you do decide to undertake this, Gorilla Glue makes a pvc glue that is non-toxic, or something.

IslandLizard

Progressive Brewing
Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Food grade shouldn’t be an issue - it is used for drinking water. 5 foot length is about $50. They make up to 16inch diameter.
If used for drinking water that would C-PVC not ordinary PVC (waste pipes etc.).
Not sure how that behaves with beer, though, when alcohol is present.

imasickboy

Drinkasaurus extraordinarius
Reaction score
If used for drinking water that would C-PVC not ordinary PVC (waste pipes etc.).
Not sure how that behaves with beer, though, when alcohol is present.
If I'm not mistaken, PVC is/was-thought-to-be safe for cold drinking water only.

North_of_60

Reaction score
I think that the white cpvc would be fine. It is for potable water, hot or cold. I believe its practically the same material as my plastic bucket.

If a 5' piece holds 6.5 gallons it the same as my bucket. My bucket costs less and stands on its own. Temperature control would be the issue for me. Its a novel idea but I'll stick with the bucket.

Soulshine2

Reaction score
In the last issue of BYO Kevin Lane built a fermenter from 10 feet of PVC pipe to test effects on yeast. This could be a cool way to have multiple fermenters in a small amount of space.
Anyone else tried this?
I see a couple advantages. A 5 foot long x 8 inch pvc pipe would hold 6.5 gallons. 1 foot would hold 1.3 gallons. This could be great for small batches also. The 8 inch pipe has a minimum working pressure of 133psi.
Ferment, carbonate, and serve!
Pipe and fittings available anywhere. Add a valve at the bottom to drop trub and bottle/server. Add gas fittings at top for CO2.
What am I missing?
if anything , use CPVC it is better suited for potable water .not PVC,which is more suited for drainage .Also use the appropriate glues for cpvc as well.
I agree with the above , I'd use a self standing bucket before using a cpvc pipe length. Buy a 6.5 gallon brew bucket ,itll come with a spigot and cost way less and be much safer and better suited than cpvc