PVC for a mash tun manifold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icantbejon

Reaction score
So I've been looking into creating my own mash tun and begin the journey into all grain. But now I'm curious....why does it seem like no one uses PVC to create the manifold? I see a lot of copper pipes and those steel mesh tubes. Does PVC present a problem I'm not thinking of?

I use a PVC manifold in my 60qt Igloo cube mash tun. Works great.

Only drawback is the fuzz left in the tube after sawing the slits. I use easyclean and Starsan to clean it up.

You want to use CPVC, but other than that, yes, lots of people use them, myself included. I've ran 50+ batches through one without issues

Guy at the store said CPVC is rated to 180F. I think that's close enough for a mash tun, but I'm still building with copper. Yes, it's a few more dollars. But a mash tun will likely last MANY years, so I think it's a good investment.

I use CPVC as well. I tried to have a version that wasn't completely glued together for ease of cleaning. That failed. I recommend complete gluing. As to the temp rating of 180F. That rating is calculated for pressurized hot water lines. The mash tun manifold is not under pressure, so there is no concern about that rating.

I recommend complete gluing.

I used some tiny self-taping stainless steel screws. I didn't completely screw the manifold together; it comes apart in three pieces. I wanted to be able to take it apart if need be, but not come apart when i stir the mash.

I used CPVC in mine no glue and it worked great. I just built a keggle mash tun for my Brutus so I retired it. I had no problems with it at all.

Back