Putting my brewing on hold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yellowirenut

Reaction score
I am putting my brewing on hold....until I get a temp controlled fermenting chamber. My last two brews (spotted cow and an altbier) have off flavors to them. Something just not right. I am thinking it has to do with the temperatures they have fermented at.
Summer time so the room they where in ranged from 60 ish on cool nights with the windows open to +80 before I would kick on the AC then a sudden drop to 74.
Am I right with my thinking? Would temperature swings cause odd flavors and esters?

The hold will not last long. I have a love controller on the way and am waiting for Menard's to stop the %11 rebate sale so they DROP the prices back to normal.

60-80 is a huge range. I have pretty much same problem but with less of a range. What off flavors are you experiencing? I am going to convert a plastic conical I got on craigslist to have a SS coil in it recirculating cold water from a cooler or fridge.

I feel your pain. I quit for a month or so while I built my unit. I dont have alot of spare cash lying around so I had to get creative and find a cheap fridge (mini) for 10 bucks(not working) and build the stc temp controller.

Happy to report I am now fermenting at a continuouse 70 degrees for my ales and also using as a kegerator. I was able to keep the entire project under 30.00

I just finished drilling the hole for the co2 tank about 20 minutes ago. I dont have a tap yet, but the picnic tap will have to do for now.

I just recently built out some proper fermentation control. This summer, my apartment has been between 65 and 89 degrees, the latter being during a heat wave.

I'd gotten pretty good with a swamp cooler, borrowing time in friends' chambers, etc but after 2 sub-expectation beers, I bit the bullet. Sounds like we've experienced the same thing..

I don't think it's a bad idea. Can put the money you'd be spending on ingredients towards a fermentation chamber. I picked up a lightly used mini fridge for $40 off of craigslist and built one up. Cost less than $100 total.

Back