Put off bottling day...a looong time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdf191

Reaction score
Brewed a batch of nothing fancy dry mead about a year and a half ago. Because of the normal crazy schedule of life I still never bottled it.

It has been in limbo in the Secondary for some time now. Because of an upcoming even less than 2 weeks away I want to get this stuff in bottles. I have tasted it from time to time with my wine thief and all seems well.

My question is:

Normally a decent period of time is recommended to have you mead rest in the bottles before serving..After this long of a time will my mead benefit from being in a bottle for more then two weeks? Or does it now taste...pretty much like it is going to taste. Also... I am not carbonating it so that isn't an issue.

And or the bad news....have I possible damaged the flavors due to the oxygen and head space in the secondary instead of a bottle?

Thanks!

I agree with SafariBob.

"After this long of a time will my mead benefit from being in a bottle for more then two weeks? Or does it now taste...pretty much like it is going to taste."

If you're not carbing it, and you don't stir up the lees when you're bottling, then it will taste as it does now. From my understanding, bulk aging is good for early aging, but past the initial aging, there's going to be minimal to no difference between bulk or bottle aging. A year in bulk is past this point where it matters.

"have I possible damaged the flavors due to the oxygen and head space in the secondary instead of a bottle?"

Some people are sticklers about this. I have never noticed an oxidized flavor in my meads, and I don't worry about reducing head space in bulk aging. If it doesn't taste oxidized, then for all intents and purposes it's not. Admittedly, I have not drank any of my meads that are older than 9 months, so perhaps they're too young to tell, but I don't see it being a big deal. Mead is more resistant to the ravages of oxidation than other alcoholic beverages.

Just go with it...bulk aging is one if the things I really appreciate about mead...I can just relax and let it fit into my schedule and not vice versa.

As others said, try not vice to kick up any sediment, and you should clear up quickly...you could also consider temporarily refrigerating the bottles to "cold crash" them and get any sediment that did get transferred over to drop quickly.

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

Latest posts

Back