Pushing stout with Nitrogen only

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagheuer

Reaction score
First of all, I would like to apologize if this topic has been discussed before. I tried to search it but with no luck.

So here is what I have in mind. Since beergas is quite expensive, I was thinking to carbonate the stout in a keg with regular CO2 gas until it reach the desire CO2 volume at serving temp.

Then purge the CO2 headspace in the keg and connect to Nitrogen gas only at 30psi for serving.

Will this work ?

My doubt is as the keg get emptied, CO2 from the beer will escape to the keg headspace. But on the other hand, the headspace is filled with N2 so I think there is no room for CO2 to escape.

What do you think ? Anyone has tried this method before ?

Links to previous same discussion is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I have heard the same thing about the CO2 escaping over time, but I'd love to hear someone confirm that with first hand experience.

getting my beer gas refilled is such a pain... I'd love to be able to use just plain nitrogen

Check this out.

The answer is, definitely maybe. :D

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/pure-nitro-setup-questions-stout-285293/index2.html

I think it would hold the co2 for a couple weeks at least and serve well. Maybe you have to booster the keg with co2 here and there to maintain your co2.

I ended up upgrading to a 60cu tank of mix 90 as I found a way better fill price.

BTW my nitro setup is now pouring freakin' awesome. Long cascade in the begining just like the bars do. Enjoy your tap!

I knew HBT-ers have thought about this and been discussed before.

Thanks for the link and info. I guess I have to suck it up and still go with the beergas if I were to go with the stout "fancy" pouring display.

I knew HBT-ers have thought about this and been discussed before.

Thanks for the link and info. I guess I have to suck it up and still go with the beergas if I were to go with the stout "fancy" pouring display.

I personally found that the larger the tank, the better the cost on the refill. So upping the tank size costs a bit, but pays off quickly.

I guess there is a price to pay right? But man the nitro tap is really worth it to me :D

the headspace is filled with N2 so I think there is no room for CO2 to escape.

it only matters how much CO2 pressure is in the head space. if you are using 100% nitrogen, the CO2 pressure is zero, and the CO2 in the beer will outgas into the headspace. it wont care that there is also nitrogen there; the nitrogen will do nothing to hold the CO2 in.

audger said:
it only matters how much CO2 pressure is in the head space. if you are using 100% nitrogen, the CO2 pressure is zero, and the CO2 in the beer will outgas into the headspace. it wont care that there is also nitrogen there; the nitrogen will do nothing to hold the CO2 in.

yes. so he should not purge the headspace of co2. and maybe hit it with co2 occasionally as mentioned before. i am sure this will work cause a local bar serves guiness on strait nitrogen and it seems to work for them.

I think what everyone is saying who is trying to go this route is that they would fill with co2 to 30 PSI or whatever, then turn on your straight N2 at say 35psi there will be plenty of co2 in there to maintain or at least slow down the carb reduction for many pours. Rinse and repeat as needed. I think this is what people would do to simulate the gas mix. i.e. Boosting the keg with CO2 and putting on pure N2 would have a similar affect as the mixed gas and would help maintain the carb.

N2 is cheaper to buy unmixed, though I am not sure by how much. That is the incentive for attempting to maintain a nitro tap this way.

Back