Pushing 3/16 line into 3/8 line...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjinsa

Reaction score
So... Been thinking about what size beer line I am going to use. The nipples on my shanks etc don't fit the 3/16 line that I have available, it only fits the 3/8 line which isn't ideal. BUT the 3/16 line fits perfectly into the 3/8 line. What if I got the same length of each, and shoved the 3/16 line into the 3/8 line all the way from keg to shank, so ultimately what I have is a 3/16 internal diameter, but able fit onto the 3/8 fittings (leave a gap at each end to allow the nipple into the tube?

I would have to take it apart every now and then to clean the pipes properly and make sure no beer is sitting between the pipes.

Thoughts??

I have done a similar thing to get a transfer hose to fit on a spiggot or nozzle, but only about an inch of the hose was able to be stuffed inside of the other, which in my case was all I needed.
I think you will have a very very hard time running the length of hose you need through the other....in fact it might be impossible.
I would recommend boiling some water and just before you go to put the 3/16 hose on the nipple, dip it in the hot water for maybe 10 seconds to soften it up, then work it onto the nipple. Most of the time that works and unless you have a strange size nipple setup, it is actually made for the 3/16, it just seems tight.
Good luck!

Not a good idea, great place for bad stuff to grow. You can heat 3/16 line to fit on 1/4 fittings but I would not try putting it on 3/8. Even if you could get it on the line will probably split.

So... Been thinking about what size beer line I am going to use. The nipples on my shanks etc don't fit the 3/16 line that I have available, it only fits the 3/8 line which isn't ideal. BUT the 3/16 line fits perfectly into the 3/8 line. What if I got the same length of each, and shoved the 3/16 line into the 3/8 line all the way from keg to shank, so ultimately what I have is a 3/16 internal diameter, but able fit onto the 3/8 fittings (leave a gap at each end to allow the nipple into the tube?

I would have to take it apart every now and then to clean the pipes properly and make sure no beer is sitting between the pipes.

Thoughts??

My thoughts are that if the 3/16" beer line fits perfectly into your 3/8 line, you have thin walled 3/16" line, which is not appropriate for a beverage line. If it's truly thick walled 3/16" beverage line, there is no way that you will be physically able to slide the entire length into the 3/8" line. Even IF you could somehow slide the entire length of the 3/16 into the 3/8, you'll create a small cavity between the beer lines for beer to get stuck in and eventually get infected.

IOW, this is a terrible idea. Don't do it. No offense.

My thoughts are that if the 3/16" beer line fits perfectly into your 3/8 line, you have thin walled 3/16" line, which is not appropriate for a beverage line. If it's truly thick walled 3/16" beverage line, there is no way that you will be physically able to slide the entire length into the 3/8" line. Even IF you could somehow slide the entire length of the 3/16 into the 3/8, you'll create a small cavity between the beer lines for beer to get stuck in and eventually get infected.

IOW, this is a terrible idea. Don't do it. No offense.

So tell us, why is the thin walled 3/16" not appropriate for beverage line use? I don't see the logic here. I just bought a roll that I guess is thin walled 3/16", but it's actual beverage line rated to 55PSI, most I'll ever be running is 12PSI. I understand the need for thick wall/high PSI line on the CO2 side, but not the beer side.

Replacing the shank nipples with a 1/4" would be the best option, then you can use the 3/16" hose without any issues. I wouldn't try mating two hoses together, unless you use an adapter/reducer fitting, and in that case I would just get a replacement shank nipple and call it done.

So tell us, why is the thin walled 3/16" not appropriate for beverage line use? I don't see the logic here. I just bought a roll that I guess is thin walled 3/16", but it's actual beverage line rated to 55PSI, most I'll ever be running is 12PSI. I understand the need for thick wall/high PSI line on the CO2 side, but not the beer side.

Replacing the shank nipples with a 1/4" would be the best option, then you can use the 3/16" hose without any issues. I wouldn't try mating two hoses together, unless you use an adapter/reducer fitting, and in that case I would just get a replacement shank nipple and call it done.

It is rated at 55 psi at 70 degrees, what is it rated for at 39 degrees? Also thin wall can kink easier which will foam the beer.

It is rated at 55 psi at 70 degrees, what is it rated for at 39 degrees? Also thin wall can kink easier which will foam the beer.

The temp range stated is 15F-150F. I understand it will become more rigid at a lower temp and more pliable at a higher temp, but I highly doubt it would become so brittle at fridge temps to the point to not being able to handle 12PSI. This stuff is designed for beverage use, which most beverages are served cold, so... I'd put good money that the manufacturer has ensured it will work in cold temps. This line may not be as kink-proof as the thick wall stuff, but if you actually take the time to route your lines well, kinked lines won't ever be a problem.

The thin walled tubing will slightly stretch with the pressure of the fluid, which causes the resistance to decrease, which affects balancing your system. In addition, the stretching can allow some of the CO2 to come out of solution and cause foamy first pours. Plus, as was already said, they're more likely to kink. Considering how cheap you can get proper thick walled beverage line, there's no reason not to use the proper line, IMO.

Back