Pushed rubber bung into demijohn! Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Furious_Tea

Reaction score
I accidentally pushed a rubber bung into my wine (the bung is only just big enough, but fits). It's the old orange/pink colour rubber. and they smell very "rubbery" I was swapping the tube for an airlock and pushed it in too hard, it was sanitised and just slipped in.
I only started it 3 days ago so it's a while before I was planning on transferring it to a secondary demijohn. What do you guys think I should do? Will the rubber break down or make the wine taste of rubber? It's fermenting like crazy at the moment, should I try to transfer it now? I guess there's a lot of unfermented sugar at the bottom?

HELP!

Thanks

Had a little sniff of the airlock and it smells mostly of rubber bung. Might transfer this to another demijohn later but feel it might be ruined. The bungs were from Wilko I think and smell very rubbery. Think I should've transferred it right away. Lesson learnt.

Back