Purging Keg, ran out of CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I filled a keg to the brim with sanitizer and went to push the sanitizer out through the kegerator. Because it was a full keg, I figured I had time to go work on dismantling my fermenter for cleaning. When I returned to the keg, I found that it was empty but so was my CO2 tank and therefore, there was no pressure in the keg.

I did not open the keg. My question is would you still consider that keg purged or because there's no pressure in the keg, should I go through and fill/purge again once I refill my tank?

Im on the fence about it. To me, I pushed a full keg of sanitizer out with co2 and it hasn't been opened so I would almost feel like it can still be considered purged but not sure. I don't want to waste another keg full of sanitizer and co2 if I don't have to but this keg is going to be used for a NEIPA so I want to be extra careful (which may answer my question).

Assuming it wasn't long (a handful of minutes) between going empty and discovery of same I'd be inclined to consider it purged...

Cheers!

Curious why you think you need to fill a keg with sanitizer first, in order to purge it with co2?

It's a tried and true technique: totally fill a keg - every bit of it - with no-rinse sanitizer (I use Star San), then push all of that sanitizer out of the keg using CO2.

The [typically presumed] alternative - just flushing a keg using CO2 - would require so many cycles to even get close it's not worth doing...

Cheers!

I filled a keg to the brim with sanitizer and went to push the sanitizer out through the kegerator. Because it was a full keg, I figured I had time to go work on dismantling my fermenter for cleaning. When I returned to the keg, I found that it was empty but so was my CO2 tank and therefore, there was no pressure in the keg.

I did not open the keg. My question is would you still consider that keg purged or because there's no pressure in the keg, should I go through and fill/purge again once I refill my tank?

Im on the fence about it. To me, I pushed a full keg of sanitizer out with co2 and it hasn't been opened so I would almost feel like it can still be considered purged but not sure. I don't want to waste another keg full of sanitizer and co2 if I don't have to but this keg is going to be used for a NEIPA so I want to be extra careful (which may answer my question).

Were you pushing it into a sealed vessel or a bucket. If the “out” tubing was submerged your probably ok. Would function as an airlock.

Back