Purging carboy headspace after sampling - - w/o regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brif

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 5# CO2 tank with a standard CGA320 valve with male thread. I'd like create a setup with this to purge the headspace on some aging carboys after sampling. Problem is, I don't have a regulator, just the tank w/ the 320 valve. At the moment I'm not using this tank on any kegs so it will be dedicated to this task.

Is there a female threaded fitting that reduces this 320 valve down to a barb that will allow me to connect a length of blowoff tubing or silicone tubing so I can purge?

Any other useful setups for this task that use a tank w/o the regulator, or do I really need to get a regulator to make this work?

Thanks!
Brian

No-no-no!

Do not operate that tank without a proper regulator!
The gas pressure and outflow directly from the valve is extremely high, and may freeze up your valve, which will prevent you from closing it until it has warmed up after the tank has emptied out.

So, seems like there are several options on regulators. If I want one that I can also use with a keg eventually, I'm guessing I need a dual gauge that will measure vol of CO2 in the keg as well as output pressure for purging, correct??

If you want to have different pressures, then you need multiple regulators. The most common configuration is single regulator that has both a tank pressure gauge, and output pressure gauge. This is known as a single body configuration. You can also get dual regulators that come with a single tank pressure gauge, and an output pressure gauge for each regulator. This is known as a two body configuration. If you want more than two different pressures, then the best way is to get secondary regulators. Then you have one primary regulator that steps tank pressure down to about 50 psi, and then multiple low pressure regulators strung together, with one regulator for each pressure. Each secondary regulator has its own output pressure gauge, but no high pressure gauge. If you just want multiple kegs/whatever at the same pressure then you only need a single (two gauge) primary regulator and "Y" splitters or multilple output manifolds downstream of the regulator.

Brew on :mug:

Back