Pure Nitro setup questions for stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Resurrection again of this little thread that won’t die!

I am building a new keezer and would like to add a stout faucet for nitro brew coffee and beer. Coffee requires pure nitrogen. This thread gives conflicting results of how beer would do being served with pure nitrogen.

A main issue discussed in the thread is that beer will lose carbonation over time. I think I have a solution. What if I used a carbonation lid with a carbonation stone. Doing this will make the keg have three posts. So when I have a beer to serve with pure nitro I leave the keg hooked up to Co2 at the same time on one of the three posts.
Does this sound like it would work?

Last edited:
"it is impossible for Co2 to come out of solution in the keg while under N2 pressure of at least the equilibrium pressure of the beer."

Pretty sure the partial pressure gas laws say this is incorrect, but I'm not too old to be re-educated ;)

Cheers!
You seem knowledgeable on this subject. Can you please answer the question I just posted to this thread?

Resurrection again of this little thread that won’t die!

I am building a new keezer and would like to add a stout faucet for nitro brew coffee and beer. Coffee requires pure nitrogen. This thread gives conflicting results of how beer would do being served with pure nitrogen.

A main issue discusses is that beer will lose carbonation over time. I think I have a solution. What if I used a carbonation lid with the carb stone on a keg. Doing this will make the keg have three posts. So when I have a beer to serve with pure nitro I leave the keg hooked up to Co2 at the same time on one of the three posts.

Your idea will work to a degree, the nitro pressure is way higher than the Co2 pressure, so you might be able to keep the Co2 hooked up and set to like 10lbs until you use the nitro, then you can disconnect the Co2 and serve with the nitro, degas the keg and hook your Co2 back up.

Ok, some difficult to parse verbiage but I think I get the gist.

- If dispensing coffee, only nitrogen is used, and the 2nd keg input would go unused.
- If dispensing stout, both keg inputs are used, the CO2 pressure would be set to achieve and maintain the desired carbonation level while the nitrogen would provide the push.

Obviously the mixed gas mode is more interesting, but if the respective gauge pressures are set correctly I believe this should work.
One thing to keep in mind when driving beer through a stout faucet: you want the carbonation level to be quite modest - like in the 1.2-1.4 volume range...

Cheers!

Nope. Regulators work on absolute pressure. This means that if you have one reg set to a lower pressure than the other only the reg with the higher setting will actually push gas into the keg. So in this case you'll have the CO2 regulator set to a lower pressure than the N2 regulator, the CO2 reg will do nothing and you'll be actually serving with pure N2 all the time.

Nope. Regulators work on absolute pressure. This means that if you have one reg set to a lower pressure than the other only the reg with the higher setting will actually push gas into the keg. So in this case you'll have the CO2 regulator set to a lower pressure than the N2 regulator, the CO2 reg will do nothing and you'll be actually serving with pure N2 all the time.
This makes sense. Thank you. So if I were to take my idea and go with the same setup would it make sense to just turn the N2 off when not serving and purge the keg? That way the co2 levels are maintained and the N2 can be used for both coffee and stout applications?

I think it would depnd on how frquently you dispense from this keg how quickly the co2 would come out of solution. The bump every 3 weeks may be fine if you only draw a few beers a week. I am sure there are some physicists on here that could calculate the math for you, however if you dispense too many beers without recharging the co2 your beer will go flat.

I agree beergas tanks suck, refill here is $44.00. I really like my stouts and I want them on a nitro mix so I invested in a gas blender to make my own beer gas in real time. This setup is probably cost prohibitive for most, but I now pay half as much for a full n2 tank and a full co2 tank combined, and it lasts 4 times as long.
I am in the same situation and here to, in Quebec, Canada, the gaz companies do everything they can to get you to rent their bottles which end up costing twice as much as if you can get your own bottles refilled end recertified every 5 years. I just got a new N2 tank and was planning to CO2 my stout and then push it with N2 but from what I can read it is not best I guess. What do you use to blend your gases?

Last edited:
Have you asked your local bars and restaurants who thier supplier is? ...blenders are very costly, but I know that Praxair (an eternal 'rent our tanks") sells them.

Back