Pure lacto isn't souring in my Berliner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxSpang

Reaction score
Four days ago, I brewed a 10 gallon batch of Berliner Weisse (6lbs pilsen, 6lbs wheat for 10 gal) and split it off into two fermenters. The first one was the Wyeast Berliner blend (shake up aeration method), and the second was pure Wyeast Lactobacillus (no aeration). No starter was made for either of them. Gravity was 1.032.

The Wyeast Berliner blend took off like a rocket and seems to be fermenting just fine. The pure lacto doesn't appear to be doing anything. I have been tasting it every few days, and there isn't any apparent flavor other than wort and perhaps a very, very slight tartness. In fact, there's so little tartness that I wonder if I'm simply forcing tartness on the palate.

I pitched it at around 90 degrees, and it went down to about 80 for 2 days. I thought it might have been too cold so I put a space heater up to it and let it run for about 24 hours. The carboy was very warm to the touch, but not hot. I'd guess it was around 110-115. Still no sourness.

I've never dealt with ANYTHING sour, so I'm wondering what my options are. Is it safe to leave it without pitching any Sacc? Should I repitch some Lacto after making a starter? Should I say screw it and add some Sacc?

Any help would be appreciated!

Don't have any experience with lacto, but correct me if I'm wrong. It doesn't produce any alcohol, it produces mainly lactic acid. I thought it was always used with yeast. Were you planning on blending the two?

TexanRudeboy said:
Don't have any experience with lacto, but correct me if I'm wrong. It doesn't produce any alcohol, it produces mainly lactic acid. I thought it was always used with yeast. Were you planning on blending the two?

I should clarify - my goal was to give the Lacto a few days head start before pitching Sacc yeast

I should clarify - my goal was to give the Lacto a few days head start before pitching Sacc yeast

That makes sense. Sorry, I have no idea how to use the stuff. Interested in the replies though, I like sours but haven't messed with them.

tartness from lacto can take awhile. i would check back on it after 6 months, thats when mine usually starts to get tart. lacto also hates o2. in the past ive pitched lacto into wort at 100 for 24 hours then let it drop to pitching temps and pitch sacc. i also hear doing a lacto "starter" will help. pitch lacto into erlenmeyer at 100 for a week and pitch that. dont make the mistake i did on my last one by putting it on a stir plate for that week....its been over a year and has only a very faint tartness :(... i think that carboy will be getting dumped soon.

Get that fermenter warm. If you can get it above 80F, it will sour up in a couple days minimum. I've had sour mashes finish overnight when I keep my lacto ferments at 100F. When it gets sour to your liking, cool it down and then pitch the yeast.

Back