Purchasing cans for home brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently purchased a can seamer from Oktober Design. They are terrific and the seamer is nice. My only concern is that they appear to be my only source for cans in homebrew (or small brewery) quantities. Every other supplier I see requires a pallet (2,400+ cans) up to a truck load minimum. I checked out eBay and they have a few but the suppliers (especially the guy selling the 19.2 oz) are really expensive and have bad ratings. Any thoughts about suppliers or avenues I haven't tried? I'm hoping some LHBS start carrying cans like they do with bottles but can't find anybody yet. I'd raelly like to get a few hundered of teh 19.2 oz cans.

I recently purchased a can seamer from Oktober Design. They are terrific and the seamer is nice. My only concern is that they appear to be my only source for cans in homebrew (or small brewery) quantities. Every other supplier I see requires a pallet (2,400+ cans) up to a truck load minimum. I checked out eBay and they have a few but the suppliers (especially the guy selling the 19.2 oz) are really expensive and have bad ratings. Any thoughts about suppliers or avenues I haven't tried? I'm hoping some LHBS start carrying cans like they do with bottles but can't find anybody yet. I'd raelly like to get a few hundered of teh 19.2 oz cans.

Group buy??

Did you get the SL1? Keen to hear some reviews before I pull the trigger, can't seem to find any. You recommend?

Group buy??

Did you get the SL1? Keen to hear some reviews before I pull the trigger, can't seem to find any. You recommend?

I love mine. I got the MK 19.2 v2 pro. It’s more pricy but it does 12, 16, and 19.2 oz cans. I’ve already gone through a case of 16oz cans. The unit is solid, quiet, and quick. I fill cans right off my tap with a growler filler to minimize foam. If I did them for long term I’d probably use a beer gun and co2 purge. Cans make it look so professional and some labels from GrogTag and you look like a professional brewing operation. I bought an old commercial refrigerator (glass door) and fill it with cans so when people come over they can pick some up and “donate” $5. I can’t keep it full and it pays for the brewing. Be aware of shipping costs, especially for cans. Small amounts (less than a 2700 can pallet) are hard to find and shipping can kill the price. Many times shipping is almost equal to the price of the can. Lion Brewing Solutions on eBay has free shipping if you buy 189 16oz or 250 12oz. CanTribe is new but only on the East Coast now. otherwise hit up a local micro brewer to buy some of theirs. They go quicker than I expected; love it. I also make some root beer and my son fills cans of that too.

Attachments

• 39EB492D-A432-43B2-91AE-E475A222DDEB.jpeg
    39EB492D-A432-43B2-91AE-E475A222DDEB.jpeg
    623.6 KB · Views: 163
Sold!

Cheers for the write up, had not even considered the other models- may have to reconsider

Thanks
Dave

Anyone know if the 16.9 (500 ml) cans that Morebeer sells work on the 16oz chuck that comes with the SL1.

The shipping on cans from Oktober is out of control and so many of them end up dented in my experience.

Have you approached any of the micro brews in your area to see if they would sell you some cans? I've noticed that one of our local joints is also canning and filling cowlers (tall cans). I have not pulled the trigger on a seamer-trying to convince the better half how useful it would be for canning wine, water, coffee... you get the idea.

Back