Punxsutawney Phil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Either last year or the year before Staten Island Chuck the groundhog bit Mayor Bloomberg. I am forever indebted to groundhogs.

Anyone but me ever question the logic of this whole groundhog day nonsense? I mean, if it's a sunny day (which presumably means the weather is pretty nice, it's not blizzarding or anything,) the little ****er gets scared, and goes back into the cave or whatever he lives in and we get 6 more weeks of winter...because he's SCARED OF THE SUN???? He scared of good weather?

Near as I can see there are several things going with this premise....none of them nice

1) We take weather advice from something that is scared of his own shadow, so he's clearly incapable of making any decisions at that time, so no matter what he says, it should be suspect.

2) He really hates good weather, and the little bastard is causing the 6 weeks of winter.

Either way he should be spit roasted with some rosemary and potatoes.

So I can't remember, do we ever find out why Bill Murray keeps waking up on the same day?

I wouldn't even know the giant squirrel's name if it wasn't for Bill Murray and Andie Mcdowell.

One of the single best movies ever.

Oh, and I don't think beer pairs well with groundhogs. For them you need Apple Cider.

I just googled beer pairings with squirrel, and although it's been asked, noone's come up with an answer... But I did find this;

I’ve had alot of success slow cooking squirrels in a crockpot with SA Triple Bock- when I can get my hands on the beer of course. Otherwise I use either a Brown Ale or a lighter Porter or Stout and use it in a similar fashion.

So at least we know that squirrel with a nice Bock Au Jus is doable.

People can chortle and scoff at eating squirrel, but I cant think of too many meats that are more sustainable. Eating squirrel is part of a Green lifestyle!

Yeah, if you've ever watched Gordon Ramsay's "The F Word" from Britain, which is actually a SERIOUS show of his about cooking, he goes a segment of one of his episodes on that topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Revvy, you should be paying more attention to Wiarton Willie. He is probably a little closer to you so probably more accurate even if he is Canadian.

I eat chuck stew that is rockchuck with some carrots and onions in a crock pot. It is real tasty in my view.

Umm putting beer into a stew to cook with. I would rather drink the beer and then cook

Rockchuck

Low on predator food chain? Check
Not currently endangered or threatened? Checkety check check
Are often exterminated as pests anyway? Check
Provide nuitrition and sustain life? Check
Slaughter is quick/painless? Check
Animal is not raised in a tiny cage its entire life? Check

I'd say rockchuck stew is just about as green and responsible/humane a meal as I can think up. I actually just got hippy-dippy warm and fuzzies.

Is rockchuck offal edible/palatable?

Varmintman said:
I eat chuck stew that is rockchuck with some carrots and onions in a crock pot. It is real tasty in my view.

Umm putting beer into a stew to cook with. I would rather drink the beer and then cook

I cook with beer all the time, Guinness pot roast or stew is pretty awesome

I take it you've never had Irish stew then? Another one of those things that when well made, proves that god loves us and wants us to be happy.

My favorite beer to cook with is "Mississippi Mud".... because its one of my least favorites to drink ;). Stew comes out great! Last night I made beef/mushroom stew with beef shin meat.

I take it you've never had Irish stew then? Another one of those things that when well made, proves that god loves us and wants us to be happy.

Trust me Revvy putting all the beer in the world is not going to make my cooking any more palatable but enough beer drunk before hand makes it bearable :D

Revvy said:

You got that right. You are really missing out if you never cooked with beer. Of course you need to fuel yourself as we'll while cooking.

Dude my favorite favorite favorite things to cook are stews and braises. Be aggressive with your spices, low and slow while you are doing other things, stir when you think about it... and come back to awesome dinner!

1) I don't care about Phil. Let the damn Yankees freeze. OTOH, I do pay attention to General Beauregard Lee.

2) The main ingredient for proper Brunswick stew is squirrel. I think I've seen and tasted proper Brunswick stew only once. Good though.

3) The main thing about about Groundhog Day is that it's midway between the winter solstice and the spring equinox. IOW, it's the day we all should be brewing spring seasonals.

We used to just fry squirrel in butter with a flour dredge. I bet it would have tasted a LOT better stewed! May have helped with the texture some too.

I always fried it dredged in flour then baked it off with some onions on top and just a touch of water below it in the pan. Serve it with biscuits and pan gravy and Mmmmm mmmm mmm...

This was growing up... not in the restaurants... I substitute rabbit for the squirrel. It tastes the same!

To get back to Puxatawney Phil. I watched the ceremony and he saw no shadow so spring is right around the corner Whoo Hoo

Gratus what kind of beer compliments rock chuck?

I didn't have any beer to go with it, I was backpacking last time I ate rock chuck & beer is too heavy to lug up & down mountains. I mostly drink brown ales, scotch ales, stouts & dark lagers like doppelbock; I'd say a brown ale or lighter, up to a pale ale would work well. The meat tastes kind of like a mild squirrel. It's a lot fattier though. Salt & garlic powder work well with it.
Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back