Autumn Seasonal Beer Punkin' Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brewmaster12 said:
You could try doing what I did and basically treat the pumpkin as a specialty grain an steep it in your water as you heat it up. Just make sure you put it in a paint strainer or grain bag so you can get it all out when you go to boil.

Yeah that sounds like a better and less messy/stressful plan

Well that sounds frustrating, BrewNinja! Did you use rice hulls?

Yep...used a pound. I think next time Ill put it in the water trick. Or put it in a bag before I put it in the mash tun. In the end I only was about 6 points low, so not too bad. This stuff smelled amazing though when I was done. Going to be hard to wait a few weeks to try it.

Thanks for the help Reno! Most awesome brewday ever! Used 1# of rice hulls in the mash with the 4 cans (15oz ea.) of baked organic pumpkin and never looked back.'It ran off like a strip-ed assed ape! One of my clearest worts to date.
SWMBO made some slight top secret adjustments to the spice blend...we'll see what happens...basically a homed
Version of pumpkin pie spice. It's bubbling away this AM with fermenting freezer set to 63 F. Can't wait! Thanks again

image-153981675.png

image-1822500633.png

AWESOME! Good to hear it went so well.

And super-secret recipe change? [in British accent] Cheeky :D

How did you post those photos? I can seem to click on them to make them bigger.

Thanks for the recipe Reno! Got myself some pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice the other day... hope to be brewing this up this weekend, assuming I can convince SWMBO to put bathroom renovations on hold for a day or two ;) Priorities right? Haha.

Well after kegging and giving it a week to carb up I had this on Saturday and it was excellent. The malt balanced the pumpkin perfectly and I even feel that the American Ale II yeast added a little to it as well. I was really suprised how well pumpkin went with beer.

The only issue I had, was when first kegged it didn't really have that good aroma that it had in the fermenter. So I decided to add some additional pie spice and that really brought back the scent.

I have already ordered the grain bill to make this oonce again since we are already about half through the first batch.

Thanks again for posting your recipie.

Well after kegging and giving it a week to carb up I had this on Saturday and it was excellent. The malt balanced the pumpkin perfectly and I even feel that the American Ale II yeast added a little to it as well. I was really suprised how well pumpkin went with beer.

The only issue I had, was when first kegged it didn't really have that good aroma that it had in the fermenter. So I decided to add some additional pie spice and that really brought back the scent.

I have already ordered the grain bill to make this oonce again since we are already about half through the first batch.

Thanks again for posting your recipie.

Awesome, love seeing results... especially favorable ones!

Brewed something similar to this yesterday. Made substitutions for what i could find

Recipe looked like this -

10# 2row
1# Biscuit Malt
.5# Crystal 60L
1# Light Brown Sugar

1.5oz Liberty 3%AA 60min
1.5 tbsp Pump Pie Spice 10 min
1.5oz Liberty 3%AA 5min

Baked fresh cut/cubed pumpkin with pumpkin pie spice sprinkled over top @ 350 for 1 hr.

Mashed at 158 for an hour, i didn't mash my pumpkin for a few reasons.

I added the pumpkin to the brew pot after lautering/while sparging.

Wishing i would have had a paint strainer bag for the pumpkin during the boil. That stuff became a hell of a mess!!! I know next time i'll either try mashing the pumpkin or using a bag to contain the pumpkin during the boil.

Hydro sample came out at 1.064 and tasting quite delicious!

Reno_eNVy said:
That first shot is really pretty. Is that a banjo burner you have there?

Yes...a Blichmann floor burner with the 24" extension legs to be specific. That thing boils like mad. It's because of it that I was a little low on my OG (1.056).
Beer smith told me I was looking for 6.0 gal at end of boil and even though my kettle full gravity was low I got nervous when I saw I had 15 to go and I was already at 6. I added a little water at 10 min and wound up with 1.056. I gotta figure that out and beer smith had me looking for like a 1.075. I think my pumpkin data may be jacked up cause I put everything else in BS and it was looking for crazy high OG.

Getting ready to rack to the secondary. Then I'm going cold crash it and hopefully have it kegged and carbed by Sunday. Can't wait!

FG 1.010 @ 66* came out to 7.3% ABV. It tastes strong and has a very close punkin ale taste. Can't wait to get it carbed.

Just racked to secondary. Looks and smells and tastes amazing! Very normal trub amount so doing the pumpkin in the paint strainer was definitely the right call. I'll let it sit for 2 weeks now before bottling

Just racked to secondary. Looks and smells and tastes amazing! Very normal trub amount so doing the pumpkin in the paint strainer was definitely the right call. I'll let it sit for 2 weeks now before bottling

my math says thats 10days in Primary and 14 days in secondary...my exact regemen far all of my ales that stop showing activity by the end of the 10 day primary (which is all but 1 saison I did this year).
I have this in my fermenting freezer at 63 since Saturday night and its still perking away. I am loving the slow and steady fermentation on this but its the first time I have fermented US-05 this low on its temp range. I have been trying to keep my ales on the low side but I seem to be timid about getting any lower than 65 because I had some liquid yeast viability issues and I have it in my head that I shouldnt keep em too cold or they'll crap out. :drunk:

Meh, US-05 does fine below 65. Since converting a chest freezer for temp control, I'm typically started my ales at ~60 and let them raise slowly.

Also, many on here will debate that a secondary isn't necessary unless you're dry hopping, adding other spices, aging or lagering. I like to give my beers at least 21 days on the yeast cake so the yeasties have ample time to clean up after themselves... it always results in clean-tasting beer.

Took a gravity reading today and I was sitting at a 1.010 down from a 1.072. Wondering if this has gone south or if I will still be ok and just with a higher ABV???

Found the last two cans at Scolari's about a month ago. I have no idea of the selection right now but next time I go to a store I'll be sure to check.

However, I did notice that there are pumpkins outside of the Raley's in Golden Valley.

Good to see another Renoite(?) on here!

Awesome, nothing at Raley's, although they said they would be getting some, I found the Libby's at Scolari's on Robb. Thanks for the recipe, will be trying this out tomorrow.

Anyone stuck for pumpkin should check out Whole Foods. That's where I get mine and it's usually fairly priced. They had it when the other supermarkets were all out.

Just kegged our batch. Still at 1.014 as it was a couple weeks ago. So that's a total of 38 days in primary, no secondary.

I'm being a bad (read: impatient) brewer and hitting it with 30 psi overnight, to be turned down to 12 psi in the morning. Or maybe it's because I'm lazy and didn't feel like resetting the regulator... hmmm....

Just kegged our batch. Still at 1.014 as it was a couple weeks ago. So that's a total of 38 days in primary, no secondary.

Be curious to see a pint when you pour it. Just checked in on mine...looks to be at .012 maybe .011 but super cloudy...going to let it ride for a while but just wondering how much impact your crashing had.

The taste was light but actually very nice for such a light brew.

Oh dude after cold crashing for a couple weeks it ran crystal clear from bucket to keg

Oh dude after cold crashing for a couple weeks it ran crystal clear from bucket to keg

In that case i would like you to send your crashing procedures written on a 12oz bottle of said HB ;)

I will start crashing mine next week and post back. Thanks!

robrob said:
In that case i would like you to send your crashing procedures written on a 12oz bottle of said HB ;)

I will start crashing mine next week and post back. Thanks!

Does that mean if yours doesn't clear up you'll send the whole batch to me for analysis :D

Just be sure to crash it slowly, something like 2° per day.

Just kegged my batch. Followed the Original Recipe to a T.

OG= 1.070
FG= 1.010

7.84% ABV

The hydro sample doesn't taste like I was expecting. Almost a sourness to it. But that could be the spices coming out.

Anyone else have a little sour taste?

KC, I just went to take a sample of mine and got the same sourness. I'm glad you posted this. I couldn't put my finger on the flavor, but sourness is dead on. I did this recipe last year and don't remember it tasting like that. I thought it was my new fermentation freezer. What temp did you ferment at?

Just sampled my hydro last night.... I didn't get the sour. What you may be experiencing is the spice presence not really "marrying" with the other flavors yet. It may just need more time

Mine fermented at 68 for almost 5 weeks. I always do long primary instead of secondary. I made my wife taste it, and she thinks its the spices, not really a sour.

I've never had any Brett on anything, and it certainly didn't look infected. Very fast and furious initial ferment.

I'm sure it's fine, but wanted to get everyone elses thoughts.

Well, it was a 12 hour brew day...with all of the set backs that I had, I am extremely glad to say I hit my gravity and volume dead on. It's also always a good day when the house smells of baking pumpkin and the deck smells of smoking meats. I'm not quite ready for the cold weather yet, but today almost made me think it would all be worth it as long as I'll be able to sit back with one of these in my hand. Cheers for the recipe Reno_eNVy

If I used less pumpkin than the recipe calls for, what would be the real difference?

Nah, you could get away with using zero pumpkin and just use spices.

Using more or less pumpkin probably doesn't really matter; what does matter is that you bake it before hand so you can actually notice it's subtle flavor in the final product.

Latest posts

Back