Pumps held in place by magnet through bottom of table?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TungstenBeer

Reaction score
Hi,

I have some neodymium magnets that I want to use to hold my two March pumps in place on my stainless steel work table/brew stand. I tested this out with the pumps OFF and it seems to work well in terms of (1) preventing the pump from sliding/turning and (2) preventing it from being "front heavy" and tipping with a hose attached.

To do this, I'm actually placing the magnet underneath the bottom shelf of the table and allowing the magnet to pull through the shelf. It has just enough pull to keep the pumps in place but not so much that I can't remove them for cleaning or any other purpose.

Will these magnets interfere with the use of the pump, which are magnetic drive? Obviously I don't know much about how a magnetic drive pump actually works... but I don't want to damage my pumps either.

They'd have to be some really strong magnets to give you any problems. Even if they were the magnetic field shouldn't have any affect on the motor and if it did it would be blocked by the motor casing. I wouldn't think the magnets would be strong enough and close enough to the pump head to interfere with the magnetic coupling of the motor and impeller. Sounds like a neat idea, I might try it out myself.

Good to hear a positive opinion - thanks. It isn't that strong. Like I said, after the magnet goes through the shelf, it has just the right amount of resistance to hold the pump in place. I'll be trying it out!

Back