Pumpkin Spiced Ale "Need advise"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullhawk

Reaction score
I am going to make the pumpkin pie spiced ale recipe below this weekend, I do have a couple of questions that would appreciate any advise from more experienced brewers.
1. It's a pumpkin spiced ale I want to put some pumpkin in it, I was
thinking about 3 lbs. of Libby's all natural pumpkin. I would bake it
at 350* for 60 minutes, now do I pure the pumpkin and let it cool to
room temperature before putting in the mash tun?
2. I am considering making it a chocolate pumpkin spiced ale, would a
1 lb. addition of chocolate malt and 4 oz. of unsweetened chocolate
work ok?
Thanks in advance, I would appreciate any advise!!

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: London ESB and London Ale
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.089
Final Gravity: 1.021
IBU: 39.2
Boiling Time (Minutes): 75
Color: 9.5
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 @ 70
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 @ 70
Tasting Notes: Pumpkin Pie, simple as that. Also, the ABV is hidden quite well.

16.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 89.5 %
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 10.5 %
2.00 oz Magnum [13.10%] (60 min) Hops 36.2 IBU
.5 oz Sterling [6.00%] (10 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
2.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028) Yeast-Ale

Spice Additions - .5 tsp of the following added @ 5 minutes -
nutmeg, cloves, alspice, ginger, cinnamon

At bottling - 1.25 tsp of Pumpkin Pie spice was added per 5 gallons as well as
~4 oz of real vanilla extract

The extra spice at bottling seems a little much to me personally! I am drinking mine now and just added what you did to the last 5 minutes of boil.

Don't overdo it. The thing I hate about most pumpkin beers is it's WAY over-spiced and that's all you can taste.

I have found that the spice taste is better controlled through the addition of a spice tincture. I typically use a neutral spirit (vodka) and add the spice. Leave for a week or two during fermentation. Then filter liquid through coffee filter and add to keg / bottling bucket. This method will allow you to better control the flavor and intensity imho.

We've had a lot of success baking the pumpkin in the oven for a while and then adding half to the mash and half to the boil.

Our pumpkin ale is a Revvy's leffe clone that is in the recipes somewhere. The abbey ale yeast goes well with the spices.

Lol

2620671941_c62f1a5b3c.jpg

I appreciate the response, I have never made a tincture, how much (vodka) would I need to use? Would I use a tincture with the vanilla extract as well? I am assuming I would make the tincture in a mason jar, put the lid on and leave it in a dark space for a couple of weeks and it to the keg when ready.

I appreciate the response, I have never made a tincture, how much (vodka) would I need to use? Would I use a tincture with the vanilla extract as well? I am assuming I would make the tincture in a mason jar, put the lid on and leave it in a dark space for a couple of weeks and it to the keg when ready.

Correct. Use 200-300ml (roughly) of vodka, add the spice, cover and leave in a dark place for a week or two. No need with the vanilla extract as it is by definition a tincture already - add when you add the spice tincture.

OP...please allow me to "coattail" on your thread regarding the type of pumpkin to use.

I had always thought canned pumpkin to be the better way to go, but I have been reading that fresh pie pumpkins gains stellar results. Says to cube and over roast 3lbs til caramelized then add to wort for full boil. Ferment wort, then add 2.5 more lbs caramelized pumpkin to dry hop.

Any thoughts as I prepare to try my first pumpkin ale?

OP...please allow me to "coattail" on your thread regarding the type of pumpkin to use.

I had always thought canned pumpkin to be the better way to go, but I have been reading that fresh pie pumpkins gains stellar results. Says to cube and over roast 3lbs til caramelized then add to wort for full boil. Ferment wort, then add 2.5 more lbs caramelized pumpkin to dry hop.

Any thoughts as I prepare to try my first pumpkin ale?

To be honest, pumpkin isn't that important in a pumpkin ale, as pumpkin doesn't really have much flavor. I do believe it does add a unique mouthfeel. Canned would be easier, heck I've even used butternut squash.

I would do the second spice addition after fermentation. A week later bottle. The flavor should disperse better.

I added a tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice last 5 minutes of boil to my pumpkin pie ale. Spice is a little strong. To offset it could I dryhop with hops and or orange peel? Dilute when bottling? Ideas!!!

Back