Pumpkin pie stout recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtard16

Reaction score
Hi all!

Pretty new to posting, but I read a lot of information on this forum. excellent resource!

Would like some help with critiquing this recipe. Fairly new to all grain brewing, so please go easy on me, I love constructive criticism. thanks for your help!

I wanted to go big with this one. Full bodied, sweet, full of flavor. I am shooting for a good desert beer to sip on.

Pumpkin Pie Imperial Stout (Imperial Stout)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.110 (°P): 25.9
Colour (SRM): 35.8 (EBC): 70.5
Bitterness (IBU): 53.4 (Average)

65% Pale Ale Malt
10% Biscuit
7.5% Flaked Barley
5% Crystal 90
5% Munich I
2.5% Chocolate, Pale
2.5% Flaked Oats
2.5% Roasted Barley

0.2 oz/Gal Columbus (14.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.2 oz/Gal Horizon (12% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

17.4 oz/Gal Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.0 oz/Gal Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
6.4 oz/Gal Lactose @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.1 oz/Gal Pumpkin Spice @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
0.0 oz/Gal Cinnamon @ 0 Days (Primary)
0.0 oz/Gal Nutmeg @ 0 Days (Primary)
0.1 oz/Gal Pumpkin Spice @ 0 Days (Primary)
1.0 oz/Gal Vanilla @ 0 Minutes (Bottling)

Single step Infusion at 155°F for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 68°F with Wyeast 1084 - Irish Ale

Notes: Mash water volume: 6.5 gallons
Mash Water Temp: 167 F
Mashout water volume: 2.85 gallons
Mashout water temp: 212 F
Sparge water volume: 3.5 gallons
Sparge water temp: ~190 F

Total water volume added: 12.85 gallons
Total water volume to boil kettle: 10.35 gallons
Boiling time required to bring volume to 6.35 gallons: 4 hrs

Mash water per pound of grain ratio: 1.33 qt/lb
2.5 gallons of boiling water for mashout is required to raise the temp of the mash to 168 F
Grain absorbtion ratio: 0.13 gallons/lb
Total water loss due to grain absorbtion: 2.5 gallons

Pumpkin will be topped with 1.5 cups of dark brown sugar. Baked @350F for 35 minutes.

you will have no problem finding more info for any type of pumpkin beer. around october there are literally hundreds of threads!! for your recipe:

i would use debittered dark grains instead of the roasted barley so you get more pumpkin to shine through. more oats can be used and baked with your pumpkin, the baked oats will go great with the biscuit for your pie crust. you can use more hops, around .5oz each addition, and you still won't notice them. using that 17 oz of pumpkin is not going to do much at all, it's almost more a nuisance than it will be a valuable flavor addition. go big or don't add the canned pumpkin at all, just expect to leave a lot behind when you rack off the pumpkin if you choose that route. most importantly...go light on the spices and compensate later while bottling. cheers!

you will have no problem finding more info for any type of pumpkin beer. around october there are literally hundreds of threads!! for your recipe:

i would use debittered dark grains instead of the roasted barley so you get more pumpkin to shine through. more oats can be used and baked with your pumpkin, the baked oats will go great with the biscuit for your pie crust. you can use more hops, around .5oz each addition, and you still won't notice them. using that 17 oz of pumpkin is not going to do much at all, it's almost more a nuisance than it will be a valuable flavor addition. go big or don't add the canned pumpkin at all, just expect to leave a lot behind when you rack off the pumpkin if you choose that route. most importantly...go light on the spices and compensate later while bottling. cheers!

Thanks for your input. Not sure why it says 17 oz pumpkin, should say 87oz... go big right?

EDIT: I notice it says 17.4 oz/gallon

Are there any recommendations for fermenting? Like how long in the primary? numerous threads on here suggest that a secondary is not necessary.

I was thinking of letting it sit in the primary for 4-6 weeks and see if it is ready to bottle. I was thinking it may be ok to go longer though.

Thoughts?

Back