Pumpkin pale ale questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcbrew3

Reaction score
I have been playing with the idea in my head for awhile now..and even read some pretty sweet recipes on here. My question is(because i haven't stumbled upon it yet)would a pumpkin pale ale be possible? with only a 60min hop addition of magnum or warrior just enough for a hop presence. I want to make a pale ale with about 35-45ibu but use pumpkin and spices..would that be a cluster f*ck or would it be decent?

just a thought and a quick recipe for reference.

7lbs lme
1/2lb crystal 40
2lb's of pumpkin either canned or fresh(depending on if i can get any this early)

1-2oz of magnum or warrior at 60mins
and of course the spices that would have to go in at 10(cinnamon,clove,pumpkin pie spice..etc)

let me know if it's a good idea or if i should scrap it and make something else!
thanks in advance!

Buy a commercial pumpkin ale and a pale ale, blend them, and see if you like it.

The flavor and aroma hops are going to directly compete with the pumpkin spices. You really can't have it both ways. If you want the pumpkin to show up, you need to keep the IBUs low.

Amber holds up a bit better to pumpkin than a pale because it has more of a malty backbone and less hops, but it's not the craziest thing I've ever heard of. Maybe try to just do a paler amber?

The flavor and aroma hops are going to directly compete with the pumpkin spices. You really can't have it both ways. If you want the pumpkin to show up, you need to keep the IBUs low.

I wouldn't add flavor or aroma..just an oz or two at the start of boil for a nice bite..which is why I would use warrior or magnum,just a nice clean bitterness with pumpkin and spices..somewhere around 30-40 ibus

Amber holds up a bit better to pumpkin than a pale because it has more of a malty backbone and less hops, but it's not the craziest thing I've ever heard of. Maybe try to just do a paler amber?
well im going to brew it as soon as I can get my hands on some fresh pumpkin,if it's good then great..if it's bad well then chalk it up as a loss and never do it again.

Try a smuttynose Pumpkin ale,its light hops with more than usual bittering in pumpkins, I think it was good and it worked unusually. I think it was 30 Ibu's. I dont see why it would not work it the right circumstance, spices and hops can somewhat be intertwined like gingerpale ales for instance and juniper. I think it has yet to be made and made well. It only beholds the future of beer and whats to come.

Latest posts

Back