Pumpkin IPA help needed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonPascal

Reaction score
Hi I'm creating a recipe for my pumpkin IPA. I want to have the taste of spice without the spice. So I am brewing 1 gallon of it (test batch).

I will be using safbrew t-58 yeast to get the clove and peppery taste.

Now I want to get more spicy taste, but from the hops only. What would you suggest me?

Saaz or Sterling maybe? That said, I'm curious about your recipe because when I was researching my Pumpkin Ale everything I read was that a lot of hop character is bad because it clashes with the pumpkin spice but if you're not using pumpkin spice maybe that's ok???

I was going to make two recipe but then I said why not one recipe. I know how to get the clove and pepper taste by yeast. Sterling would be a good start. So I may put this one in my First Wort Hoping.

I just made an unspiced belgian pumpkin ale that was great, although at 25ish IBU, hardly an IPA. I used WY3787 (aka WLP530), saaz, and an ungodly amount of canned pumpkin. It's nice, but tastes nothing like pumpkin pie.

kingwood-kid said:
I just made an unspiced belgian pumpkin ale that was great, although at 25ish IBU, hardly an IPA. I used WY3787 (aka WLP530), saaz, and an ungodly amount of canned pumpkin. It's nice, but tastes nothing like pumpkin pie.

Sterling is more fitting in taste. Clove and pepper are gained from the t-58. I just need nutmeg. I'm going for a pumpkin pineapple bread taste. Citra in aroma could make my pineapple dream come true.

Back