Pumpkin cider problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigHungry

Reaction score
I've been working on a pumpkin pie flavored cider to have for the upcoming holidays and I'm having some trouble with the flavor. I started out by roasting 4 cans of pumpkin purée in the oven topped with nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice, and put 5 gallons of cider I got from a local orchard on top of that. Then I added my yeast along with a few teabags and some brown sugar.

I let it ferment for a couple of weeks and racked it to secondary. I tasted it then and it was real good; lots of pumpkin flavor going on. After a week, there was a bunch of sediment at the bottom, so I racked it again, and this time when I tasted it, the pumpkin flavor was gone. I actually really like how it tastes, I'm just disappointed that it's not what I was going for. It has a nice amount of acidity and the body is great. The taste is just more tart and citrusy than it was before.

What do you think happened to the pumpkin flavor? Do you think it was all in the sediment that settled to the bottom? The best thing I could think of was that maybe the flavor I enjoyed was from a sugar that fermented out. In the future, do you have any idea what I should do differently?

Also, on an unrelated note, this is my first time posting here, although I've been lurking for a while, and I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all of the great info here.

Did you degass your sample before tasting it? Did you try to backsweeten it a little to see if that helped the flavor out? You forgot to add ginger. WVMJ

I did not degas it, but I did add some sugar to my sample. It was still missing the flavor.

Also, I've been kicking myself for leaving out the ginger haha! I forgot about it completely.

Back