pumpkin beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmonteiro

Reaction score
i wanna make a great pumpkin beer for the start of fall (september) whats a great ingredient kit, and when should i start brewing it?

About 6 weeks before. 3 weeks to ferment and 3 weeks to carb. I'm going to try Pumpkin Porter again this year with a few tweaks. I'll start mid to late August to have it ready for October. It's usually still hot here in September.

With the few i did ive liked them about 3 months+.Depends on the recipe and gravity also.Maybe yeast and how much pumpkin also. My next im going to try to make a lighter style pumpkin not gravity but malts. I would start with 3 16 oz cans for a 5 gallon batch,and dont go too crazy on the spices. I think a mix and match of spice and pumpkin work good,like mashing and boiling with pumpkin and doing early and late additions of spices.Doing late additon spices definatly keeps it more up front aroma /flavor. I would stick to something simple like Midwest Pumpkin ale for a kit for a basic beginning.
Hell, brew one now and get some practice going.

I've got an imperial pumpkin ale (Pumking Clone) that I brewed over 2 weeks ago to be ready for mid October.

Just took a gravity reading about an hour ago placing it at about 8.5%ABV. About to go taste that chilled sample now. I'm really excited about that brew.

raven1a said:
I've got an imperial pumpkin ale (Pumking Clone) that I brewed over 2 weeks ago to be ready for mid October.

Just took a gravity reading about an hour ago placing it at about 8.5%ABV. About to go taste that chilled sample now. I'm really excited about that brew.

Care to share the recipe?

I started with nearly 6 gallons and boiled down to 5.

Imperial Pumpkin Ale

1lb Caramel 10L (Steeped)
9lbs - Gold LME
1oz Magnum (60 min)
1.5lbs light brown sugar (20 min)
60oz Pumpkin (5 min)
4 tsp Pumpkin pie spice (5 min)
1oz Saaz (Flameout)
2pkg US-05

Pretty simple but it tastes and smells like pumpkin pie in a glass.

NordeastBrewer77, thanks for the shout out for Moon Hill PA. I thought I'd mention that I'm planning on tweaking that recipe for this year's batch based on feedback I received and my own tasting notes. Nothing too significant, but just tweaks.

In addition, I'm going to add the All Grain recipe (last year's was a partial mash), because I finally ordered all my AG gear! :ban:

I'll probably post the tweaked recipe plus the AG addition sometime before August, since I like to brew this early August.

One tip for everyone too, if you're planning on doing a PA, buy the cans of pumpkin NOW. You won't be able to find them later in the summer. :mug:

NordeastBrewer77, thanks for the shout out for Moon Hill PA. I thought I'd mention that I'm planning on tweaking that recipe for this year's batch based on feedback I received and my own tasting notes. Nothing too significant, but just tweaks.

In addition, I'm going to add the All Grain recipe (last year's was a partial mash), because I finally ordered all my AG gear! :ban:

I'll probably post the tweaked recipe plus the AG addition sometime before August, since I like to brew this early August.

One tip for everyone too, if you're planning on doing a PA, buy the cans of pumpkin NOW. You won't be able to find them later in the summer. :mug:

:off: I'm planning on brewing it again this year too. And like you I've made the jump to AG. I have a few minor tweaks that I wanna make, but nothing big, mainly applying my ever expanding knowledge of beer to a great recipe. I actually have a few of last years sitting around, I think I'll crack one later.

Back on topic, ^this guy's recipe is great, and very easy to brew. I'd recommend brewing it in July or early August so it has a bit of time to come together, it's an amazing beer after 2 or so months in the bottle. :mug:

Back