Pumpkin Beer - Halloween Party

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eller_13

Reaction score
I wanted some advice on Hop additions to my Pumpkin Beer I am making for this Halloween. I have a Northern Brewer "Smashing Pumpkin" partial mash kit and am performing the recommended 2-3lbs of Rahr 6-Row step with roasted pumpkin before the boil. I have Cluster Hops (came with the kit) to add at 60 mins. I also bought Willamette, Nugget, and Citra Hops (a favorite of mine). I was not sure which Hop variety I was going to add at 15, 5, 0 and/or dry hop with. I was hoping that the spicy nature of Nugget will balance well with the sweetness of the Citra and the mildness of the Willamette. I know that most pumpkin beers are not hopped up this much, due to the potential to loose the spice character of the pumpkin, but I wanted to try something different as I am a hop lover. Also, I wanted to add either vanilla, cinnamon, or maple syrup in some how (maybe in the secondary). Please leave advice/ideas on when to add the hops. IF I should use different varieties, and about the secondary ingredients.

CHEERS! :mug:

Eat a slice of pumpkin pie and take a swig of IPA, swish it around, see if you like it ;)

You're right, generally hop flavor is out of place in a pumpkin beer. But if you really want to try it, maybe rack a gallon into a separate jug and try a small experiment. Or make a hop tea and add it to small sample. I'd think of the 3 listed, Willamette might work the best. But it doesn't sound too appealing to me.

Alright, thanks for your opinion. I am still go forward with hopping it. Ever brew a pumpkin beer before? Advice on things to add in the secondary?

There's a great thread with tons of info here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/pu...ng-recipes-tips-tricks-good-practices-131786/

Mash the pumpkin, and a decoction helps break up the sticky mess. Pumpkin doesn't actually add much, so no need to use a ton.
Add spices at flameout
Add extracts post-fermentation

You also asked about maple syrup...take a look at some of threads talking about using maple syrup. The yeast eats it, so not much maple flavor makes it through.

Back