Pumpkin and Heat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbarning

Reaction score
I am going to do a pumpkin this week and was wondering how to factor in the pumpkin when determining strike and sparge water temps. I know that it takes 1 Kelvin to raise the temperature of water by 1 degree F and 0.5 Kelvin per pound of grain. Would pumpkin fall somewhere in between? I am especially concerned considering that it will be roasted at 350 degrees F prior to being transferred to the mash tun.

This is a case where it might be easier to just adjust the temp of the mash with hot or cold water after everything is combined. As long as you get close you can adjust.

Yeah i don't know the specific heat of pumpkin flesh, but I would just dough in higher than your strike temp and stir until it reaches the conversion temperature. Simple and easy.

I just brewed a pumpkin beer and when i cooked my pumpkin i split it up between 2 pie pans by the time i had the water boiling they were pretty cool so unless you just throw them in out of the oven, I don't think it will effect your mash temp to much, and its not really reason to put them in right away out of the oven anyways once the starch's are converted to sugar your golden, at least as far as i understand it.

Back