Pumpkin ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jloewe

Reaction score
Sorry to spread all over the thread lately. But I’m on a brewing binge to get fall ales ready and I need advice.

Pumpkin ale.

Possible mini mash due to pumpkin/sweet potato addition this is what I have so far.

3lbs wheat dme
1lbs dark dme

2lbs beechwood smoked malt
1lbs Vienna
.5 lbs 40L caramel
1lbs sweet potato instead of pumpkin as I heard they have more flavor.

1oz tettnag at 60
Possibly lactose somewhere
1oz Saaz at 5
1tsp pumpkin spice at flameout

Pitched on my Hefe yeast cake that’s still in the fermenter. Save me time and money.

Making a tincture and spice to taste at bottling.

Am I on the right track?

Should also probably say what I’m looking for.

Full bodied, slightly sweet fall treat. Hoping that the sweet potato color really shines so I might even switch to just standard dme. Hoping the little bit of caramel comes through. The smoke is supposed to be subtle but noticed. Like it’s evil.

I'm wondering if the smoke malt might overwhelm the spices.
Because of the Halloween theme I’m really set on all 3 flavors. Hoping it works out. Maybe less smoke? I just want that little hint where you know this was brewer by the devil himself.

Is this a 5 gallon batch?

Please take this with a grain of salt because pumpkin beers are highly polarizing and very preferential:

I don't use any pumpkin, sweet potato, etc. in mine. The "pumpkin" comes from pumpkin spices. I've read more than enough arguments against it and few in favor of it. A lot of people share that very little flavor, if any, comes from using actual pumpkin/sweet potato. That said plenty probably use it, I'm guessing mostly for the novelty but, whatever, such is the hobby. I'm guilty of scratching that novelty itch.

I've never used smoked malt but two pounds seems very heavy. I'd do a little interneting to get an idea of how dominant that will be.

The lactose, sure, ok. I'm not sure I'm not sure I'd add it but thats a preference thing and you can adjust in future batches.

Is this a 5 gallon batch?

Please take this with a grain of salt because pumpkin beers are highly polarizing and very preferential:

I don't use any pumpkin, sweet potato, etc. in mine. The "pumpkin" comes from pumpkin spices. I've read more than enough arguments against it and few in favor of it. A lot of people share that very little flavor, if any, comes from using actual pumpkin/sweet potato. That said plenty probably use it, I'm guessing mostly for the novelty but, whatever, such is the hobby. I'm guilty of scratching that novelty itch.

I've never used smoked malt but two pounds seems very heavy. I'd do a little interneting to get an idea of how dominant that will be.

The lactose, sure, ok. I'm not sure I'm not sure I'd add it but thats a preference thing and you can adjust in future batches.
Yes standard 5 gallon batch

I like my pumpkin ale to be more pie tasting and I really nailed mine last year. For a 5 gallon brew I used 5 pounds of pumpkin in the mash about 16 ibus of noble hops at 60min base grain was MO then I think I had about 8% of each Munich 10 and biscuit and added maple syrup and pumpkin pie spice at flame out then a little vanilla in the fermenter. It was my favorite pumpkin beer of the year. Sorry for the rough numbers I don’t have my notebook nearby. I also added a nice pumpkin by spice and brown sugar rim.
F23C0B39-FB66-495B-8856-317FC1EDB0F5.png

I like my pumpkin ale to be more pie tasting and I really nailed mine last year. For a 5 gallon brew I used 5 pounds of pumpkin in the mash about 16 ibus of noble hops at 60min base grain was MO then I think I had about 8% of each Munich 10 and biscuit and added maple syrup and pumpkin pie spice at flame out then a little vanilla in the fermenter. It was my favorite pumpkin beer of the year. Sorry for the rough numbers I don’t have my notebook nearby. I also added a nice pumpkin by spice and brown sugar rim.View attachment 733406

Sorry phone is being annoying rushing in the parking lot before work.

Was this extract or all grain? Im kinda stuck with minis and extract for now.

Because of the Halloween theme I’m really set on all 3 flavors. Hoping it works out. Maybe less smoke? I just want that little hint where you know this was brewer by the devil himself.

I'd be interested in how this turns out if you brew it. I made an Extract Pumpkin Porter last fall and was very pleased on the results still being a newer brewer. There was a canned pumpkin shortage in my area which made it difficult to get everything I needed. I didn't think to use Sweet Potatoes, but that has me wondering for this year's brew. I was going to brew the porter again, but I may also try more of a harvest ale.

Here is the recipe I put into Brewer's Friend and thread here with some pictures:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1046978/harvest-moon-pumpkin-porterhttps://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/attempting-a-pumpkin-porter.684179/#post-8998792

Still bubbling right now. Trying to be good and keep people posted. It’s a good golden color so far not that that applies to you. Took off blowoff and replaced with airlock for a fruity and light sent.

Latest posts

Back