Pumpkin Ale Sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbrew_jr

Reaction score
So im brewing my 3rd batch of beer and I am making a pumpkin ale. I used two cans libbys 29 oz pumpkin and 1 oz mt hood 1 oz cascade. There is a ton of sediment. For my first two batches I ran the hot wort through a strainer to remove all of the hop debris ect. For this pumpkin ale there is a TON of sediment. Am I wasting my time filtering all of it out? Should I be concerned with sediment for this and future beers?

Thanks

I transfer my pumpkin ale to a secondary carboy to leave the settled trub behind. Then another couple weeks and I bottle. Further cold crashing in bottles will also help settle it out. It will still be a little hazy but it won't hurt the taste.

I don't think you're wasting time by filtering the sediment. I try to get as little in my fermenter as possible.

There will always be a ton of sediment using pumpkin puree, especially if you boiled it. No use trying to filter it, just let it settle and rack off of it like you would any other trub...then before you get ready to transfer it to a bottling bucket, cold crash it for a few days to get everything else at the bottom and then transfer it.

When i made my pumpkin beer with 60oz Libbys, on the first day i could see over half a gallon of sediment in my bucket in a 5g batch....within a few days it all compressed down to maybe 1/5th of a gallon or less.

Back