Pumpkin Ale quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sillybilly

Reaction score
I am using canned pumpkin for a pumpkin ale. I plan on cooking them at 350 for 45 minutes to 60 minutes. Anyone see a reason why I couldn't cook them the night before, put in fridge and bring back room temp (to save myself from weird strike water calculations) for use the following day? To me it doesn't seem like it would be a problem, but just thought I'd ask anyone who was done it this way before. Thanks for your input!

As long as it's pre-boil (sounds like you're adding directly to the mash?), I can't see why it would be a problem.

Yeah, pumpkin is going into the mash. I can't see why it would be a problem either, but I guess I have not directly heard it being done this way. Then again, i guess i have heard people using pumpkin pie, so I guess that's similar?

I just did a pumpkin ale a week ago and I baked the night before and then put it in a paint strainer bag in the fridge. The next morning I just put in my pot with strike water and heated it up, just don't let it sit on the bottom and burn.

I just did a pumpkin ale a week ago and I baked the night before and then put it in a paint strainer bag in the fridge. The next morning I just put in my pot with strike water and heated it up, just don't let it sit on the bottom and burn.

Heating up in strike water is a good idea, did you end up putting pumpkin in mash as well?

Yep. I heated up the bag with the strike water then pulled it out put in my grain bag, mashed in and the put the pumpkin bag back in. So much pumpkin still leech out of the bag that when I pulled the grain bag out half my wort came with it!!

If you are baking them the night before, I would just turn off the oven and let them sit as they are overnight in the oven. After baking they are sanitary, so I don't see much benefit of handling them again, putting in the fridge to chill, only to heat again.

Not gonna spoil in 12 hours in a sanitary oven...

If you are baking them the night before, I would just turn off the oven and let them sit as they are overnight in the oven. After baking they are sanitary, so I don't see much benefit of handling them again, putting in the fridge to chill, only to heat again.

Not gonna spoil in 12 hours in a sanitary oven...
That's what I ended up doing, baked then just covered in foil. Considering I baked it at 1am and starting brewing by 8am, I wasn't too worried.

Back