Pumpkin Ale Just got Done

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam78K

Reaction score
Just got this recipe done and excited for 3 weeks to come.

7 lbs. light malt extract
1/2 lb crystal malt 40 L(steeped 155F)
8 oz biscuit(steeped 155F)
1/2 cup brown sugar (60)
5-6lb pumpkin inside Steeped at 155 F
S-04 Yeast
1 oz Nugget Hops (60 mins)
1 tbsp Cinnamon (60 mins)
.5 tbsp nutmeg (60 mins)
.5oz Perle (30)
.5tbsp cinnamon (20)
1tbsp nutmeg(20)
1 tbsp Cinnamon (20 mins)
.5 tbsp nutmeg (20 mins)
.5 oz Perle(0)
1 tbsp Cloves (0)
1 tbsp Cinnamon (0 mins)
1 tbsp nutmeg (0 mins)
:mug:

SG-1.1028 for 2.5 gallon

This is rather high for just 7lbs malt extract don't you think? And does anyone know where I can convert 2.5 gallon reading of SG to 5 gallons because I took the wort out of just 2.5 gallon brew pot, not when it got mixed in with 2.5 more gallons of water, thanks guys.

Of coarse it's high...that **** is super concentrated without the remaining 2.5 gallons of water.

So do you know how to covert it at all or do I have to wait to covert it to get final abv no clue how to get this any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can put it in beersmith and get an estimate.

I just brewed Yuri's Pumpkin ale at 1.055 and beersmith est 1.056...it's pretty close.

awesome thank you so much and hopefully the pumpkin ale turns out well for both of us.

I just brewed a similar recipe and came out with an OG of about 1.055. Also just bottled mine yesterday so it looks like we're on the same brewing schedule. Check back in three weeks, I'll be interested to know how yours turns out.

Since this is half and half I would think it would be a simple math problem. One half is 1.1028 and the other is 1.0000 so you take the difference (.1028) and divide that by 2 (.0514) and you end up with 1.0514 which should be really close.

Let us know how it turns out, I'm looking for a good fall brew.
Something spicy...that warms you up during the cold fall/winter days coming.

I'll be adding the spices in the secondary, but they should have a similar turnout.

Also, did you remember to cook the pumpkin before steeping it? The carmelization apparently helps retain the pumpkin character.

I'm looking forward to scooping out the inevitably HEAVY trub! lol

guess I didn't know it was as easy as that to figure it out, now I feel stupid lol thanks though. I will let you guys know how it turns out, hopefully the pumpkin taste will come through.

Alright so my gravity is down to 1.010 already so racked to secondary. When tasted my beer didn't taste as much pumpkin as I would have hoped. So was wondering can I put some spices in some vodka and pour it in the bottling bucket before bottling? Any idea or amount would be greatly appreciated thanks guy's.

I would wait it out and see what happens after you bottle and let it condition for a bit, In my pumpkin ale I have a medium pumpkin taste at the very end of each drink. Also I added my pumpkin to the boil after baking it for 1.5 hours for flavor while you steeped yours which probably took more sugar than flavor.

I'm going to follow Yuri's Route:

Yuris Rage said:
During clearing stage, add a spice tea of 1-1/2 tsp "Pumpkin Pie Spice" or Pampered Chef "Cinnamon Plus." Steep spices in 1 cup hot water for 10-15 minutes, cool then add. Consider adding the spice tea a little at a time to achieve the desired flavor profile.

Taste a lot like cloves after bottling, but I'm sure in a week or so it will tone down.

From what I have been reading around, I baked my pumpkin at 350 for 45 minutes and added that and my spices to the boil at the very start. from what I hear is that it still takes a long time to blend and mellow the flavors...It was recommended not to add any spices (especially cloves) at the end of the boil.

Mine was in the primary for 9 days, secondary for 10 days...I bottled it on the 21st of September and wont even think of cracking one until mid November...When we bottled it we all had a taste from when we took the gravity reading, and although it was very tasty...the spices still stood out primarily. I don't want to drink pumpkin pie, i just want a subtle hint of it.

A lot of brewers start their pumpkin beer in late July to give it time to mellow...I started mine way too late.

Any reason why you guys are so anxious to get the beer off the yeast cake and into a secondary?

9 days in the primary doesn't seem like enough time to let the yeast mellow everything out.

Seems to me you're rushing things. Relax. :cross:

Tasted a bottle of mine last night, spices are not as strong but a very smooth beer. Would like to taste the pumpkin a little more and less of the cloves -1 on adding it at flameout.

Any reason why you guys are so anxious to get the beer off the yeast cake and into a secondary?

9 days in the primary doesn't seem like enough time to let the yeast mellow everything out.

Seems to me you're rushing things. Relax. :cross:

using the AHS mini mash I let it sit in the primary for over 21 days. The beer is the best tasting pumpkin ale I have ever had. MOst of the commercial stuff I had was too overpowering in the spice and pumpkin taste department. I would say there is more so over tones in the AHS stuff...

Back