Pump question. Non-brew related

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigken462

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry for the non-brew related post, but I think this would get me the best results here.

I need a 12 volt water pump to help me water a few garden spots that is to far away from the house to buy water hose for. Currently I fill a 100 gallon cattle tub up with water that is on the back of my truck. I have a garden hose faucet on the tub drain and then use a 50' length of hose to water my plants. I let this feed off the bed of the truck by gravity.

I"m looking for something that will speed this up a bit. The only resistance would be about 50' of water hose laying across somewhat level ground.

Can any of you guys recommend a pump that would help with this watering chore? As always, trying to keep the cost down as much as I can. Not looking to operate sprinklers or push water through irrigation tubing. Simply filling 1 gallon milk jugs which are buried next to my tomato and pepper plants. Everything else will have to wait on the rain. lol

I'd recommend looking at 12v livewell recirculation pumps made by Attwood, Rule, or Johnson. They are compact and relatively inexpensive. Not super powerful, but better than gravity. I've got one hooked up to a cooler drain to push water to my immersion chiller. I put ice packs in the cooler and recirculate to save water and deal with high temp tap water in Houston during spring, summer, and fall.

If you need more power/GPM, you can look at the raw water wash down pumps made for boats. Johnson pump also makes a good one.

http://www.spxflow.com/en/johnson-pump-marine/pc-deck-wash-pumps/

That would be perfect I think. Might could even use it as a spraying applicator by mixing up stuff to control bugs.

This is what makes HBT invaluable!

Back