Pump Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stellaontap

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Good morning everyone.

I have a Little Giant 3-md-mt-hc pump that is giving me some problems. I can get the pump primed relatively easy but after I establish a flow it sometimes looses its prime. I have a hard time slowing the flow down when i am sparging.....it seems i have to have the flow wide open.

The pump is situated under the kettles and the lines are all 1/2". I regulate the flow at the inlet of the mash tun (which is after the pump and rims tube)

I dont know what could be wrong.....id appreciate any help. Thanks

Eric

View attachment 236.jpg

Have u taking it apart? I had the same issue and in my case the magnet that is around the impeller was cracked and a piece chipped off.

Okay, i will take it apart to see if there is anything wrong. I have had it somewhat apart and the actual impeller looks allright.

Were you able to repair it or did you need to buy a new pump head?

Okay....so I just took the whole thing apart and inspected but there was nothing broken inside (which is good). I put it back together and used a little Micro Matic pump and probe lube around the flange of the volute and low and behold.....it works great!!!

The pump must have been syphoning air in around the flange which caused it to lose its prime. Thanks for suggesting to take the pump apart because otherwise I may not have considered lubing the flange and o-ring.

Eric

No problem. I take mine apart and clean in after every brew now. I keep all the pump parts inside, the magnet cracked because I was stupid and flooded it with 180 degree water after it had been sitting outside in freezing temps for months.

I leave mine in an unheated garage.....you've just given me another thing to keep in mind. I might have been lucky as well that my magnet is in tact. I blow the water out of the pump after each brew session...but flood it again with strike water on the next brewday.

That was another reason, I don't blow out my lines and I didn't even think about the fact there would be water left behind. Once I got lucky when it was making a racket when i first started it up. I tore it apart and realized there was ice in it! Now I take it apart and just store with the rest of my brewing gear.

Good idea....i will be doing the same. They are expensive enough but parts aren't available in minutes when you realize you have a problem.....uswuallt when you are ready to brew.

Back