Quantcast

Pump fittings...

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

aekdbbop

Reaction score
Most of the time, i see where people recommend using a polypropylene fitting in conjunction with your pump head, as not to damage the threads..

do all of you do this? or can i just be extra careful when attaching metal threads?

CodeRage

Death by Magumba!
Reaction score
If you tighten it like a 3 finger ape then yeah but otherwise no. Teflon tape and tighten till snug.

The Pol

Reaction score
I used metal and teflon tape... works great.

CodeRage

Death by Magumba!
Reaction score
It really doesnt matter. Stainless if you got the cash and your afraid of a little potential lead poisoning :) Im fine with Brass

OP
aekdbbop

aekdbbop

Reaction score
OT:

when using a pump and a plate chiller, which comes first? i guess after makes more sense.

Boerderij_Kabouter

Reaction score
I would put the pump before. You want resistance after the pump not before hand. If the pump has to work to draw a suction it may cavitate and harm the pump.

OP
aekdbbop

aekdbbop

Reaction score
welllll f-it

I was just putting on my valves on the pump, and it got cross threaded somehow..

guess i have to get the replacement head now.. sonofabitch.

jrm16311

Reaction score
Kota said:
welllll f-it

I was just putting on my valves on the pump, and it got cross threaded somehow..

guess i have to get the replacement head now.. sonofabitch.

You 3-Fingered Ape you! :)

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I would just borrow or buy a 1/2" NPT threading die and recut the threads bit. Heck, I'd sooner coat it all in JBweld and force some 1/2" couplings on before I bought a whole new head.

tbulger

Reaction score
MIne started to strip, i just put alot of tape on and got it on as best i could, after some boiling wwort went through it stopped leaking. After using my pump for the first time this past weekend i would recomend a purge valve at the outlet, it can be a pain and make a mess to try to prime it, i will see how this next brew goes with the purge valve.

Atl300zx

Reaction score
any recommendations to a noob for a pump? putting together a hybrid 2-tier system (sparge water into MLT by gravity, wort to boiler by pump).

I think the march pumps are a bit pricey and thought maybe someone on here could guide me to something a little more economical.

OP
aekdbbop

aekdbbop

Reaction score
thread stealer!

yeah, the problem is that the coupling is now going on at an angle.. not sure how i did that..

i would do the jb weld thing.. but i dont want to ruin my ball valve..

so confused...

OP
aekdbbop

aekdbbop

Reaction score
well.. take 2:

I backed the valve off.. retaped the threads, and put it back on very slowly, trying to keep it straight. it did better, and i think it will work.. time will tell!