Pulling Grain From Mash For Decoction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess when I think about it , i used to do a single infusion...since I started the step mashes with that extra rest i do notice a little more depth in my beer . so , without going through the formula and checking numbers I would guess so.

thanks for the response, i'm trying to figure out if i'm crazy or not....i add gluco to all my beers so i just mash at anything between 145-155, then bump it up to 162 for a good alpha rest...pushes my efficiency as seen from BS2, from 83% to 88-89...saves me a buck or so on a 10 gallon batch

I'd prefer something with a longer handle with all that hot mash etc.

I saw Gordon Strong demonstrate decoction using an old kitchen pan with a long handle. Not exact measurements but close enough to get the job done.

And, yes, I thought about that just after I hit "post reply."

thanks for the response, i'm trying to figure out if i'm crazy or not....i add gluco to all my beers so i just mash at anything between 145-155, then bump it up to 162 for a good alpha rest...pushes my efficiency as seen from BS2, from 83% to 88-89...saves me a buck or so on a 10 gallon batch
i dont add much of anything except malts and hops . A couple times I added sugars to drive up the abv but only 1 pound in a 6 gallon batch. i try to keep my rests at a tighter tolerance . 148-154 is my range, style dependent. Like i said , I really just brew on avg, 13 lbs of malts per 5 gallon batch add another pound for 6 gallons. sometimes I just play with the numbers on that brew builder I use to get to rough style then push the amounts around to tweak it in ,maybe push the abv or BU:GU . I dont get too bent on efficiency numbers.

Latest posts

Back